Amp 4 Ohm Speakers 8 Ohm miss-match

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mgivens78, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mgivens78

mgivens78

Quick question for electronics gurus...I have a pre-Fender SWR Redhead 4 Ohm combo and purchased 2 Eminence speakers to beef up the sound and they are 8 Ohms. Can I used them and what issues could i expect with the mis-match Ohms?
    Thanks for the help; I'm new to forum and this is my first post. GREAT site!

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Are you using the new speakers as replacements in the combo? If you are chance are good the original speakers were wired in parallel and those two new 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel will again be a 4 ohm load.

Welcome to TB!

3. mgivens78

mgivens78

Yes I am using them as replacements. I will check the speaker Ohms and the wiring when I get into the replacement. I hope you are right and all will be perfect.
    Thanks B-String!

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I think you will find the original speakers are 8 ohm units. The only two ways to get a 4 ohm load from two speakers is parallel 8 ohm units or series wire 2 ohm speakers. Ordering 2 ohm special wound speakers would be VERY expensive to the manufacturer and limit where else they could be used. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The only caveat that I see is that, mounted in the combo, your new drivers might actually be a downgrade. You need to measure the internal sizes of the speaker compartment, plug them into a box design program such as WinISD and see if your particular box needs to be tweaked.