Amp add-ons

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Mar 24, 2014.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

I am not a pro player. My rig is a Line6 lowdown 400 amp, a GK4x10 cab paired with a Hartke 1x15 cab.

I enjoy the options built in the amp, i.e deep switch, compressor, etc.

However, I have noticed that many professional players combine other equipment with their rigs, i.e. equalizers, etc. I am not sure what other equipment are relevent.

I want to achieve the beautiful, full, continuous bass sound of, for example, Lee Sklar. I have heard him a couple of times live with James Taylor and his sound is so full and encompassing regarding bass presence.

What can I buy to shape a similar sound?

Thanks in advance.
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The question is, were you hearing his rig, or a combination from a mic'ed cab or a DI through the PA.

Perhaps what you are looking for is a REDDI.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A guitarist, as opposed to a mix hogging, screaming loud guitard.
  4. IPYF

IPYF

Falling down the rabbit-hole of rack gear and stomp boxes is fun and a great way of disposing of your pesky paycheque. My experience has been though that I came out the other side of it gassing for a simple uncomplicated lightweight rig with no bells and whistles.

You already have a good rig, so there's little point in effing with the program unless you know enough to define what you're missing. Even then you'll end up spending a large sum of money on making slight improvements and tone-chasing can quickly degenerate into a kind of consumer pareidolia. Extend caution.
  5. rodl2005

rodl2005

Well said. 😉😉😉
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Lee Sklar could plug a standard Precision into a practice amp and still sound amazing. He's used a ton of different equipment over the years and always manages to kill in his own unique style.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Definitely well said.
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

My first step would be to sort out the mismatch in you speaker cabinets. Doesn't matter how good the sound from your amp if your speakers can't reproduce it faithfully.
  10. xroads

xroads

Good start; with bass, less is often more. How large are the venues you play? I could live with a 410 cab on its own. Try to use only that one and see how it goes.
    Also, try to control the mids with the eq your amp has and check how they influence the mix in your band. Your bass sound needs to be heard in the context of the band.
    Finally, what JimmyM said...technique and style...
  11. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

"so there's little point in effing with the program unless you know enough to define what you're missing."

This is my problem: I don't know enough to define what I'm missing. What resourses are available that I can contact to learn what I am missing?
  12. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Don't ignore this^.

It's likely that the "full and encompassing" bass tone that you want is simply being masked by the mis-matched cabs.
  13. IPYF

IPYF

I'd try and take the matched cabs advise others have provided if you've got the option. That GK and Hartke are probably each great on their own but might not be ideal hanging out together.

The Line 6 is also a good amp, but maybe there's a chance it's not for you. If it's not providing the sounds you want then maybe you need to go to a store and play some other amps.

The only extra item of rack/stomp gear I could recommend would be a good compressor, but I think the Lowdown already has one built in?