AMP ADVICE

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nivek91, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Nivek91

Nivek91 Supporting Member

I need an amp for gigging and general practice. I'd prefer to go with a combo since they're a bit easier to get around and with a recent surgery, lifting heavy is kinda out of the question for a bit.

I'm between two models right now:

1.) TC Electronic BG250. (250 watts)

-and-

2.) Peavey Max 115 (300 watts)

I've used Peavey before and love the product, but I've only read good things about TC as well. Weight difference is 10lbs (Peavey being heavier). Open to all other alternatives and any ideas. Trying to keep the cost down around 600-500 bucks.

Thanks in advance!
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

When you have medical concerns, 10lbs and cabinet size can make a big difference when lifting an amp in and out of a vehicle.

On one hand, the TC is a neat unit with the built in TonePrint effects. If you are into high tech this is pretty attractive. If the effects aren't needed, the extra circuits are costing you and there are more things to go wrong. I like the look of the TC amp the best.

The Peavey is a good solid amp with the basic features that you need.

The important thing to do is to audition each one and see which one sounds the best.
  3. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

+1

I ruled out several very popular cabinets after trying them out in the store because their sound didn't suit my taste.

With lightweight combos it's even more critical, because each manufacturer is forced to make a decision on what they're going to give up in order to make it lightweight. Depending on what you're willing to give up, you need to find the closest match.
  4. aggrokragg

aggrokragg

I'm actually interested in the MAX 115 as well. I am hoping to get a chance to play it to compare with the Fender Rumble 350.

My only concern with the Peavey is no horn in the amp. Although I mostly play doom/classic rock so really high high's might be something I can sacrifice on a bit.

I'm mostly looking for something that won't take up too much space in the office at home but is still loud enough to hear over drums at rehearsal and in small club gigs. Most clubs around me have DI capabilities if I need more forward presence.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nivek91

That's exactly what I'm looking for aggrokragg. I'll probably wind up going in to try both of them out and buying something completely different. Oh well, as long as it sounds good.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

+1 on the choice of a Fender Rumble 350! I love my mine, and there's nothing it can't do. Plenty LOUD; tons of headroom and tone for days. The combo is great and the head on top of the Rumble 410 cabinet is stellar. :hyper:
  8. Nivek91

That 350 does look pretty sweet.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The biggest, and most important difference between these 2 combo's is, the Peavey allows an ext cab, while the TC doesn't. When you find you need more volume than a single 15 will provide, the best way to go is with another spkr. So, imo, there's only one good choice.
  10. aggrokragg

aggrokragg

Agreed on the ability to expand being a huge plus. I actually noticed that detail once I glanced over the specs again.

One thing I'm now uncertain on is I am seeing MAX 115's online and some of them appear to have a tweeter? I'm wondering if I saw older models and the newer ones include a horn? (although I wasn't searching used items...)

One of my hopes is to not get into a scenario like I've been in the past where at practice the guitarist needs their Mesa stack on 8 to "get their tone" otherwise they just "can't hear themselves". Meanwhile the drummers ears are bleeding and everyone else is wincing in pain. I don't have the $$$ or space to upgrade an arsenal for volume wars any longer.

Maybe that is just a metal band rehearsal problem? :)
  11. Nivek91

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I was able to snag a SWR Super Redhead on closeout for 600. PUMPED to say the least lol
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a good deal. Have fun with it!
  13. thebreakman

thebreakman Supporting Member

You should check out the GK MB115-II. Great sounding combo, loght and can add powered cabinets.
  14. Cirk

Cirk

If the loud guitar player becomes a problem, tell them to get a Weber attenuator. Besides which, bar owners don't care whether he's getting 'his tone' when patrons are leaving because it's too loud.
  15. DanGouge

DanGouge

Wow, good score!