Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ruined Eye, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Ruined Eye

Ruined Eye

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, former guitarist converted to bass. I've been inspired by the likes of Al Cisneros and Caleb Scofield to take up the best instrument in the band!

I want to ask a question about amps, so apologies if this is old ground. If it is, then please someone just point me in the right direction. I know how tedious it can be when newbies keep asking the same questions.

I've started up a new band called Ruined Eye, and we're playing what I can only call stoner-doom-metal. Stuff like Windhand, old A Storm Of Light, Kylesa and some doomy Monster Magnet influences. I'm also contemplating starting a 2-piece band, just bass and drums, inspired by (but hopefully not just a rip-off of) Om.

I play Rickenbackers (4004 and 4003) and like to use 3 inputs to the amp - clean, Big Muff and ODB-3. I currrently have a Fender Rumble 75 (picked up in an amp swap at my local shop), and I use adaptors to channel the 3 into 2.

My question is (and thanks for wading through all the above to get to this point!), I want a good, but not overly expensive, bass amp setup for rehearsals and live (small venues) in a band setting that will suit my intended sound.

What do you guys recommend? Money is an object (as is the space for keeping them!), but I also don't want to buy crap for the sake of it.

Thanks for any advice and support you can offer, much appreciated.

2. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

It's unfortunate that several of those who are tired of seeing similar posts somehow still can't resist clicking on them, then bitch about it.

One question: How is your Rumble 75 working right now in band rehearsals? Is it giving you the tone you want, but just not loud enough? Or are you wanting a different tone as well as volume? I've played the 75 before, so it makes for a common reference point.

By the way, LOVE the band name!!

3. jam -1

jam -1

check out the Trace Elliot 1215 combo I own one and love it I also have a Trace Elliot 1x15 cabinet to go with it 600 watts total it has a 12 band eq I would also check out the mesa boogie amps they go pretty cheap on ebay that would be my next pick

take care and good luck
    Jeff:bassist:

4. Ruined Eye

Ruined Eye

The 75 sounds good, although I rarely play it clean. We're still finalising the line-up, so I'm not really sure how it will sound with a full band line-up. I feel comfortable with Fender, having a Blues Deluxe for my guitar (which I love). I realise these are quite different things, bass amps, but there's something to be said for continuity!

I'm open to suggestion, after something that enhances the sound, but also makes it more than loud enough.

Thanks for the like on the name :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aggrokragg

aggrokragg

+1 for Kylesa. One of the coolest modern stoner/sludge bands of the past decade.

I am also looking at starting a stoner/doom/camaro-rock project, and I actually just snagged one of the Genz Benz Contour 500 combos that are on clearance right now via ebay. It came down between that and the Fender Rumble 350, but I got the GB for less than $350, it is a LOUD 300 watts expandable to 500 with an extension cab (which I don't think I'll need just yet) and the tone is incredible. It's the only amp I've played that matches up to my old SWR (R.I.P.)

Plus, the GB is roughly 25-30 lbs lighter than the Fender, and only the size of a medium suitcase.

7. Ruined Eye

Ruined Eye

Thanks for the info on the GB. Can I just check, are you referring to the Genz Benz Contour CTR500-210T? And if so, is this preferable to the 115T?

At this point something in this price range would be great, if suitable for live and rehearsal playing.

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi and welcome to TB.

I've been very happy with my Gallien-Krueger MB115 combo - its lightweight, compacted, sounds great, and very affordable - but checkout the new G-K MB212-II, and MB410-II combos.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Huge +1 on the GB Contour combos. Great deals. If you can't land one, I would look at an Avatar cab (212 or 410) because they can take a whallop, then drop a Carvin BX500 on one. Now you have enough to grow with the band.

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

My advice to is to buy separates...not combos. Start with a decent cab that you can run your Fender Rumble ext. speaker output to. Get used gear. You can build your rig in increments as your budget allows.

Playing in a Doom/Stoner band is taxing on a bass players' amp power...and wallet!

:bassist:

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I agree. Dave has an Avatar B410 (4 ohm) loaded with Eminence Custom BASSLITE NEOs for 345.00 bucks in his Specials right now. I would grab that, then drop a 500w head on it.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

The Carvin BX500 head can be had new for 399 bucks (free shipping). Since the cab is 4 ohms, 500w into the cab.

12. Ruined Eye

Ruined Eye

Thanks everyone, I've invested in a GB 210. Thanks for all of the advice and help, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I appreciate people taking the time to help out a newbie :)

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The Contour deal? :confused: