Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Stormer, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Stormer

Stormer

I am looking to buy a new amp, something for home playing and powerful enough for small gigs.
    my budget is about £700-£800.
    I am mainly playing a pbass in a 4 piece blues band.
    I recently played through an Ampeg SVT-450 and loved the sound and was wondering if you guys and girls know of anything good in my price range?
    Cheers.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Does that budget cover amp and cab? Or just amp?

If you like the ampeg tone look at a pf-500 or used svt 7pro.
  3. Stormer

Stormer

I'm open to both options, I was considering an ampeg pf350 with a pf210he cab 'cos I really like the ampeg sound, but I wouldn't rule out a combo.
  4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would recommend the pf115he over the 210.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I would recommend the opposite. All things being equal, the more air you move the better chance you have of being heard. With a 210 you are moving more air. You can still get some deep lows and nice mids. I have tried 15's and 10's and now only use 10's. Most touring musicians are using 10's.
  7. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    You don't move more air with a 210... Driver size has nothing to do with tone.

Lots of touring musicians do heroin too, do you recommend that as well?
  8. Stormer

Stormer

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try out a few amps tomorrow. Maybe I will treat myself to an early Christmas present.
  9. angelopbass

angelopbass Supporting Member

i would recommend a 1x15 over a 2x10 . 2x10s are a great addition to another cab, but unless you are playing a quiet show with a quiet drummer, go 15 all the way. 4x10s and 8x10s are great. but if you are looking for a small cab to push some air, a 15 or an 18 over a farty 2x10 any day.
  10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I'd recommend trying the pf350 through as many different cabs as you can, screw the size of the driver. Don't rule out 12"s too. When I think of "4 piece blues" volume, I think it's quite possible you'll need to expand your budget a little to include two smaller cabs or one big one. If your bandmates actually listen to each other, then I could be wrong.
  11. Blair101

Blair101

Gk MB500 and a NEO212. Done and done.
  12. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sure. Or Carvin Bx500 and Avatar Neo 212. Done at about 1/2 the price.;)
  13. Cirk

Cirk

Try out as many amps and cabs as possible within your budget. If it sounds good to your ears, roll with it. Buying used gear will get you a lot more for your money, but make sure it's in good working condition. Just my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.
  14. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

If you have tried out other amps and preferred the Ampeg sound, then that is what you should get. The PF 350, PF 500, the 450 you played and the SVT7Pro should all serve well.

With respect to the 2 Ampeg PF cabs, try them out and get the one you like. Searching here you will find people who like both. Once you decide on an amp, try it with these cabs and pick the one you prefer. Of the two I found the 115 to be more articulate, more defined and with more punch than the 210. Not meant to be a generalization on 10's vs 15's, just how I heard them. If you prefer the 210, go for it.

For the record (based on the average of Sd's from several Eminence, Faital, B&C and other drivers), the radiating area (Sd) of one 15 is approximately equal to 2 1/2 10's. All else being equal, the 15 will move more than two 10's. However, all else is rarely if ever equal, so let your ears be the judge. There is more to tone than maximum displacement.
  15. Cirk

Cirk

+1 to what Astrosonic said. From driver to driver, Xmax measurements vary quite a bit. Also, cabinet design is another big factor. Cabinet tuning is a big deal. Trouble is, most manufacturers refuse to give up the specs and actual measurements for their equipment. It's all part of the smoke and mirrors.
  16. Blair101

Blair101

That'll work too. I had the 800w version of the Carvin, nice amp, I just didn't warm up to the tone. Still, a very nice amp for the money.
  17. Cycho

Cycho

Take your bass to local music stores and play every amp you can. You won't believe the range of sounds you will hear but only you can tell what's right for you.
  18. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Many amps will fit the bill. Since you're in GB what about Ashdown? I've always liked their ABM500 amps. If not the Ampeg PF350 or 500 along with the SVT7PRO are good choices as well. Buy used and save some cash. As for the PF210HE, I have that cab powered by the PF500 and IMO it wouldn't handle a higher volume gig. It sounds good but I use mine only for rehearsals and smaller gigs.

How about the Ampeg SVT-410HE or SVT-410HLF?
  19. Stormer

Stormer

I tried out a few today, wasn't completely blown away by the Ampeg, but I thought the Ashdown ABM500 was pretty impressive for the money.
    So now i just have to decide if I want to spend a bit more to get a better Ampeg or just go for the Ashdown.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
  20. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

The ABM500 is an awesome head. If that's your tone, go for it. You won't be disappointed.
  21. Blair101

Blair101

Sweet head!