1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amp and Cabinet Storage and Cold Weather...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Bass Guitar Supporting Member

So, I recently relocated from a house to a smaller apartment and my wife is none too keen on having my rig around. I have a storage space, but it's not climate controlled so it can get pretty cold in there during the winter. Would I be doing any damage to the amp or speaker cabinets by exposing it to colder than normal conditions for storage?
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I have stored stuff in a garage that gets down to about freezing. It cools off and warms back up slowly, so it's not really much of a problem. And it is completely dry. If there could be condensation, I would pass.
  3. bobalu

bobalu

How cold does it get in your storage area? If you're talking something like 50 degrees than I wouldn't even think that was cold (hey, I'm Canadian...). You should be fine with anything above freezing. It's not so much the cold, but moisture (which includes condensation, as Gaolee mentioned) that will do damage to amps and speaker cones.
  4. Mike Sorr

The storage locker is located in an enclosed building, it's just not climate controlled. It gets cold enough to see your breath inside, but no moisture. You hear different things depending on who you ask. I've been told long term exposure to cold is a no no, and I've been told it's no big deal as long as things stay dry as you guys have said. Logically, you can buy expensive stereo systems for your car including power amps and speakers, and I've never heard even extreme cold being a problem. Thanks for the advice!
  5. briskmojo

briskmojo

Just my experience, but I've stored rigs in my unit which gets down to -40 and I haven't had any problems.
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Cold is not a problem, so long as things cool off and warm up gradually. Humidity, on the other hand, can be an issue, so one wants to avoid condensation from warm, moist air hitting cold equipment.

Car stereos aren't a good example. Automobile-rated electronics have a much tougher environmental spec than consumer/studio gear.
  7. Mike Sorr

The warming up I can control, the cooling off would be kind of abrupt as I'd be taking the gear from a relatively warm car to the much colder storage area. It doesn't sound like it will be a problem. It may wind up that I only need to store my two 4x10 cabinets. It's all Eden gear so I spent a few bucks on it and would hate to damage it by not doing my due diligence. Thanks again for the advice.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Keeping the amps in a secure, warm environment and the cabs in the storage area sounds like a good compromise.

Bob Marley used to sing No Woman No Cry for a reason.