Amp/cab for detailed/punchy Flatwound sound

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jamerson_fan, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Hi

I've come to the conclusion that my preferred bass sound is Flatwounds (Chromes) on a passive P-bass with as much detail/"punch" as possible.

I recently bought a Rusty Box pre-amp, and I like it, but I find my current amp/cab (SWR 8004 T/O/P with matching cab) somewhat lacking (a little muddy).

What amp/cab would you recommend to make me really _hear_ my flatwounds from the lowest Hertz to the highest KiloHertz?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like the detail I get with my greenboy cabs. I think a good power amp behind your pre and a fEARless F115 would give you exactly what you want.

For reference I am using chromes on a stingray or a passive P-bass through a few different greenboy cabs.
  3. rogypop

rogypop

To my understanding, you don't want a lot of lows. Try out some bag end s15's and bergantino nv115.
    *As for the amp, hartke lh500, highly recommended and won't cost you an arm or leg.
  4. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Huhwhat? :atoz:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tim1

Tim1

I play my P with TI flats into an Orange AD200 and Bergantino NV215. This is my preferred option with this bass and it provides just the tone you seem to want.
  7. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Thanks for the replies so far.

Well, regarding lows: I quess I don't want a modern cab
    with "sub"-lows, but more of a tight, punchy cab for a 4-string.

I'm considering buying a used Gallien-Krueger head.
    I read somewhere here that the new ones (MB800, RB10001) are a little "nice sounding", so I'm thinking I might like the older ones better.
  8. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

BTW, it seems 15" speakers are best suited for the "full range"-sound I'm after?
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not necessarily. 15"s can be quite good for that sound, but some 15" cabs are quite unsuited to what you're looking for. You can find cabs that are suited and unsuited to your needs using all different size speakers.
  10. rodl2005

rodl2005

Aguilar TH500 sounds fantastic with a P bass.
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Dont mistake capability for a requirement of use. I get a tight punchy sound out of all my cabs with a passive P with chromes and an Ampeg PF-500. A simple and powerful EQ, but its not like I am running a 31 band to make things work.
  12. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

CL400Peavey:

I guess I like the "Ampeg"-sound, but they aren't known for top end detail..

Have you compared your Ampeg PF-500 against other Class D amps (GK, GenzBenz, Carvin, TecAmp etc.)?

How does a pre-amp/pedal sound through the FX-return vs. the regular input?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
  13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Ampeg amps or cabs? Their amps are actually amazing in the top end, if the cab you are using can produce what is coming out of them at that point. A lot of what is considered to be the "Ampeg sound" is actually the sealed 810e or the 410he. Those are top sellers for ampeg, and they have a sound that works for a lot of people. Personally I thought I didnt like ampeg gear because those were the cabs that it was always hooked up to in stores. I was shocked the first time I played one through a different cab. It was the sound I wanted.

I think the PF-500 has more in common with ampeg amps, than any other class D amp. I would say that my experience with GK's MB line is the same. They sound like a GK, not a "class D" amp. I dont think class D has a sound. I think there are good amps that are class D, and there are bad amps that use other topology.

The preamp through the power amp in or FX return sounds like you are only running the pre. That can be a good thing, or a bad thing. Depends on what you want/need out of your pre, and how the coloration of the two play together. Personally I like my Aguilar TH straight in to the power section of an amp when I am not using it for distortion. I like it through the front end if I am using it for distortion though.

I will tell you this. Everything will sound better if you have a cab that you like the sound of.
  14. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Thanks for your opinions about Ampeg amps/cabs. Very interesting. I've also mostly tried them with Ampeg-cabs.

Regarding the FEARLESS-cab: I couldn't find any wattage ratings on the Greenboy-site(s). What is yours rated? Do you play with a single F115, or always combined with another?

(I see that Tricky Audio has started building in the UK. Since I'm located in Norway, I guess I'll check with them first if I buy)
  15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Here is a list of greenboy cabs I have owned or do own:

fEARful 12/6/1 x2, 15/6, 1515/66/1, greenboy DuallyT.

And cabs I have played through enough to have a pretty good opinion on:

fEARful 1212/6, fEARless F112, F115, F212, greenboy Bassic12, Bassic15. I actually have a F212 on order right now.

You could easily gig with a single F115. It will get louder than a 410. Per power handling, you can use just about anything. It will be gigable with anything between 200-1000 watts.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

How many $$$$ do you desire to spend. Two, Three Grand?
  17. rogypop

rogypop

in my books punchy equals rolled off lows and bumped midbass, Think of schroeder for example. C'mon, guy calls himself jamerson fan, do you hear anything below second overtone in Jamerson's tone?
    Two bag end s15 and hartke lh500 nails that tone.
  18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh you mean guitar.

No I thought he wanted to play bass. ;)
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So do most Ampeg amps and cabs ;) And many Ampeg cabs actually have a tweeter that you can turn on and off at will, so you can get the highs if you want them.
  20. jamerson_fan

jamerson_fan

Hehe. My username is quite old.
    Although I'm a big fan of Jamerson, his sound is not what I'm after in this case. :)

Thanks for all your advice, CL400Peavey!
  21. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually in comparison to the schroeder cabs, the sealed Ampeg cabs have huge low ends. That isnt judgement on the ampeg cabs, more that the schroeder cabs lack what I would consider useful low end.

Find something that you like, and play the hell out of it.