1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amp conundrum

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dmusic148, Nov 28, 2013.

1. dmusic148

dmusic148

Hi there. Big fan of my GK800RB. I've just about wore it out, if that's possible.
    I recently bought a cherry TF 550B, with 'the switch.' Nice amp. Now, one of the things I love about my 800 RB is that while it doesn't go super deep it retains a very tight low end. But the main thing I love about it is the upper mid range /lower treble response. It just has loads of character there, bright without being irritating particularly with the boost set to approximately 2 o'clock. It's the 'upper harmonic complexity' thing it does, which is just sex IMO.

Enter the 550B. This amazing amp goes deeper but in a very controlled, authoritative way, and frankly I'm loving it. It never gets woofy or stupid. Just killer down there. Way superior to the GK in controllable, extended yet solid low end. It's ability to control the low end is inspiring.
    BUT it completely lacks the upper mid/lower treble 'push' and 'grind' that the GK excels at, which again is something I really, really love and need. It's not a matter of EQ-the TF has plenty and it's excellent. But it doesn't "get me there" like the GK does. I need that "grind" that the GK does, with the tight, extended low end of the TF. Huh. Hmmm.
    Anybody know of a good compromise?
  2. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

Use both together.

Use your TF550B as a preamp and send the signal using the TF's effects send/ preamp output to your GK 800RB return jack.

I do this with my Eden Navigator preamp into my GK 800RB.
    Once I dial in a good tone, I crank the gain on my Eden and keep the master low. Then I use the boost on my GK for grind and volume knob for room presence.

I'm not to familiar with TF so don't quote me on this.
    Another approach can be finding what bandwidths TF uses and finding either an on-board preamp, a pedal, a preamp, or some kind of equalizer to use with the GK AMP.
  3. dmusic148

dmusic148

Neat idea but not gonna happen. I need a one amp solution.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you like the sound of the GK better than the TF use the GK. there is nothing wrong with that. When the GK is worn out replace it with another.

That said, it is not unusual to have to take time with a new amp to get out of it what you like. Spend some time messing with it to find out what each control actually does and how they may interact with each other.
  5. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I would use both together as well. It really surprised me how good it sounded when I did it. I used three combos for a while until I built my gig rig. I still use two heads, each running two cabinets. One clean and one dirty. It's the absolute best way to use distortion and keep your bottom end strong.

If you are set on a one amp solution it looks like it is time to get out and try some amps right? Something I always enjoy!

Cheers!

MJW
  6. wighat

wighat

7. nashman

nashman

A man with two watches is never really sure what time it is.
  8. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

^
    Is that a Chicago song?
    :D

The way I look at it, you would at least have a back up amp?!?!
    Either way, I think the OP might have a hard time finding another amp that sounds like a GK. I could be wrong though.
  9. dmusic148

dmusic148

I'm starting to think a different GK head might be just the ticket. Maybe an MB 500 or 800. The bright gritty sound I like with a more extended low end, from what I gather. I'll have to go try those.