Amp distortion maybe from bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swipter, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Swipter

Swipter

I have two basses. My 1995 Pedulla TB 5 seems to distort while playing through my Eden WTDI going to my LMII and my 212. My Fender Jazz sounds phenomenal. I am considering sending the Pedulla back to the company for inspection. Does anyone have any suggestions about why it may be doing this? All the cables are good and the battery is fine.

Thanks for your help,

Don

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

Signal from Pedulla too hot?

3. Swipter

Swipter

I have had that before through the pedal and turned the gain and master down but it didn't fix it. I am really wondering if my preamp is having issues. I can't run the WTDI master higher than 1/3 due to distortion on the low strings.

4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I agree there is a 99% chance that the signal is too hot.

I just bought one of the new Sterling S.U.B. Ray 4 (musicman budget model) basses and it does the same thing. I would have come to the same conclusion as you, but I had read about the issues with the extra hot pre-amp before I purchased it. I also have a passive p-bass with an extra hot after market pickup that does the same thing. My solution...use a compression or limiter pedal. It works with both of my basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jphilauren

jphilauren

Worth a call to Mike , obviously you should try the Pedulla with another rig.
    Any noise coming from preamp? The preamp signal should be hotter but not to distortion

7. Swipter

Swipter

Unfortunately, I don't have another rig or know another bass player I can try. I will hook it up again and reset the box to try to fix it. I will call Mike if that doesn't work. Thanks for all the input.

Don

8. Swipter

Swipter

Just everyone knows, I was using the WTDI pedal because I needed to run to a PA and still wanted to use an amp and bass cab.

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Does it distort with the WTDI not in the signal chain? The LMII has a usable DI. The blue clip light on the LMII = bad.

10. rekesbass

rekesbass

check the pup height....a while back I had a EBMM Sterling that the pup would back itself out and would make nasty distortion...couple turns of a screwdriver and I was back in business...also,make sure that the battery is fresh...unplug the bass when not playing it..leaving the cord in will drain the battery..

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1