amp extension?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by stangman, Jan 16, 2014.

1. stangman

stangman

Im currently running a peavey 115combi, its 210 watts. The band i play in have 2 guitarist both running some fairly big rigs both valve state and a drummer that hits like he has to hammers and i could do with a a bit more volume! iam on a budget, and have limited opions at the moment. My combi has cab exstention cabilities which would bump the amp up to 300 watts but split between the 2 cabs effectivly making it 150 out put from each. At the moment i have just a 15 inch black widow in the combi cab, if i was to get a 4x10 inch cab would it increase my overall volume? any feed back would be great cheers.....

2. stangman

stangman

My bad i meant full valve with the guitarists rigs

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

4X10 + 1X15 is not a good combination - plenty of info here on the site to read.

Adding a matching 1X15 is the way to go.

4. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I think the whole 410 and 115 combo being bad is subjective to the brand. I have the 410-115 Orange rig and it sounds better than any 8x10 I've ever played. Though I played an Ampeg 4x10 with a 115 and it sounded terrible. The ampeg 115's are very low wattage.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stangman

stangman

So another 15 inch cab will be better suited you think?

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yes, for your application my first thought would be to get another 1x15 cab that more or less matches what you have currently. Stack them.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It has nothing to do with the brand. It's all about how much wattage each speaker is getting. That single 15 is getting half of the power all by itself, while the 4X10 is dividing that same power equally between 4 different drivers. Thus much easier to blow the 15 without even knowing it, especially when it's on the bottom of the stack.

Yep

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 another, ideally matching 15 is the best option. And, re: volume, it's not so much about the wattage, but almost all to do with having more spkr.

10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes - get the matching Peavey 15" cab for your combo.

11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    do you have a combo 300? that's a really loud amp all by itself! i wonder are you cutting your midrange frequencies?
    also if it is a combo 300, you can add a 4Ω load, not only 8Ω or higher....and if you do add an 8Ω cab, it still wouldn't be 300 watts, and the combo's speaker will still see more power than the second cab.