Amp for Aguilar DB 115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PFitter, Mar 12, 2014.

1. PFitter

PFitter

I just replied to a very old post about using the DB 115 by itself. But I decided I better start my own and seek opinions. I'm a beginner. Learning and practicing classic rock and blues with a P bass. I just bought a new Aguilar DB 115 cheap and I need an amp for it to replace my Peavey Basic 115. I won't be gigging. Just playing at home. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think the Tone Hammer 350 on sale(15-20% off) would be my limit as far as price(so not much more than $400). The price range of a GK MB200 is even better.

2. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

If you're playing classic rock and blues with a P Bass, I think the Tonehammer would be the perfect choice, and a nice match for that cabinet. I have a TH500 and two DB112s. A P bass through it sounds fantastic.

3. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

Did u get that cab on craigslist from Rochester?

4. PFitter

PFitter

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll hit all the local shops Friday but I know none of them have in stock the TH350 and they definitely don't have my speaker so I'm relying on players like you that can offer advise based on real use.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PFitter

PFitter

Yes I did. Is that good or bad?

7. thejumpcat

That was a very good deal. I contacted the seller right after you. I've been looking for one of those to go with my Aguilar DB750. The DB115 or DB212. If for some reason it doesn't turn out to be what you're looking for soundwise, let me know. Otherwise, wail on!

8. PFitter

PFitter

Thanks for the offer. The deal was so good I'm still leery of it until I hook an amp up to it this weekend. It was new and in its original sealed box. I'm sure it's going to be more than I'll ever need when I figure out which amp to pair it with.

9. PFitter

PFitter

No luck yet with an amp for the DB115. Can't find anything local. My favorite DB player, Ricky B, who recommended Aguilar, uses a GK MB200 as a backup amp. Wish I lived in NYC at times like my daughter.
    Anyway, I still seek suggestions for an amp. P bass wants to thump.

10. Abrahampost

Abrahampost Supporting Member

I would second a tone hammer>db115 would be a killer rig. If it were me, at 400 or under I would avoid anything new. Go through the classifieds and find something that fits the wattage of the cab and fits your style of music. I have never been disappointed by a purchase off of talkbass.

11. thejumpcat

Pretty hard to beat a used GK400RB in the $200-250 range. I have two. Theyre tanks and plenty loud at 160 watts into 8 ohms.

12. PFitter

PFitter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep shopping. CL and the classifieds. I'll be near Motor City Guitar today so I'll see what they have.

13. ariwax

ariwax Seeking the olfactory groove Supporting Member

If you can find a used Mesa Walkabout, you'll be glad you did.