Amp for bass and acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gsaer, Feb 12, 2014.

1. gsaer

gsaer Supporting Member

Are there any amps that can effectively amplify an electric bass and also do double duty as an acoustic guitar amp? If so I would like to know which one is best, thanks
  2. Crater

Crater

Nothing I know of is made specifically for this dual purpose. Your best bet would be to buy a powered PA speaker, a small mixer, and a couple of preamp pedals for the instruments, like a SansAmp Bass DI for the bass and some kind of preamp (Fishman?) for the acoustic guitar.
  3. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

Just about any bass combo will sound pretty good with an acoustic guitar, you just won't have any effects. Add a verb pedal, a decent preamp for the guitar, and you're good.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your budget?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

8. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Perhaps something from Genz Benz? Trace Elliott also comes to mind.
  9. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

We had an acoustic show a couple of weeks ago where it was some acoustic guitar, some bass from me. I plugged my acoustic into my bass rig and it sounded pretty good, even without readjusting the EQ.

If you don't have anything at present, I would agree with the guys who say to get some sort of PA setup with a couple of preamps. That seems simplest and cheapest to me.
  10. kpc

kpc

As far as I know, the Acoustic Image 10-2 will do both. It is well set up for any acoustic instrument including bass.:bassist:
  11. DogBone

DogBone

Any full range and relatively uncolored amp will work.

Powered speakers, portable PAs, and don't overlook Keyboard amps.
  12. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I know very little about combo amps that can do such double duty, but there are definitely bass cabs that can. This is much more do-able than a cab that can do justice to both electric guitar and electric bass, which is a more common request. Imo you'd want a bass cab with a neutral voicing (especially through the midrange region) and a good tweeter for the top end. A PA cab is a possibility, but the woofers in most PA cabs don't have the excursion capability you'd normally expect to find in a bass cab because the PA cab expects to be paired with a subwoofer for the bottom couple of octaves.
  13. Eric_71

Eric_71 Supporting Member

OP, I notice you're in southern MN. On the chance that you would be interested in an Avatar TB153 for your needs, I have one I might sell and I'll be in Winona the first weekend of March. I'm not sure what the experts would say, but I would think that would be a decent option cab-wise.

Just sayin'.