Amp for playing in duo band with drummer

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by beaver_luka, Mar 11, 2014.

1. beaver_luka

beaver_luka

Hey!

I'm looking for a combo amp that is loud and durable for playing with drummer. Drummer is not the loudest, but still pretty loud.
    I always use distortion or fuzz.
    I currently own Ampeg B2 and SVT210 cab, but would like to get something cheaper. Fender Rumble, Ashdown Mag, or something in that price range.

Should I go for 1x15 or 2x10?

Also, weight is a hugely important, beacuse I have to carry my gear down to the basement to our rehearsal space.

Thanks

2. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Thats a tough one. Secind hand market would be where to go. An ashdown evo 500 combo might be good. Or an old trace elliot combo. The trace could be really grindy. There is a band called Jogging and the bass player in that band uses a lanet 1x15 combo that sound like its going to exolode but man that is a good sound.

3. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

4. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    The NEW Rumble series coming out looks amazingly solid and has a GOOD built-in overdrive on the larger combos...might be worth looking at. I would say in a duo with no guitars competing for volume with you, you could get a more hifi rig and show off the color of your tone with much less interference.

With how small they are making Class-D SMPS micro heads these days, combo's days may be numbered in my collection. A GK MB200 and a quality 2x10 cabinet (say, an Avatar Neo 2x10) will do some serious damage...mine certainly does! You could even get the GK and pair it up with your current cabinet. MB200 is only one of many micro heads out there that do an excellent job, just some food for thought.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Genz Benz Contour 2x10 or 1x15.
    On sale at Amazon.

I prefer 2x10 to a single 15.

7. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133

What genre are you playing?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How much cheaper does it get than a B2 and an old 210?

9. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

$339 on the Bay from Proaudiostar for the 1x15. That price is pretty incredible, and if I hadn't just bought a Shuttle 6.2 and a Streamliner 600, I'd be all over it :D

10. beaver_luka

beaver_luka

Post punk

I see that I've forgoten to write full name of the cab. The cab is SVT210AV, and I have to turn the head all the way up to just barely hear myself.
    I reckon that the regular SVT210 would be louder.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh yeah, you're right about that. Too bad they quit making it, though.

Never mind.

:D

12. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

I played a B2 through an ancient Peavy 4x12 in Nashville last night. Cool rig. Easy to get good tone through that. What a relief to find that waiting for me at the venue after having to use some micro head and a fearful cab the previous night. (Yuck! Horrible sound no matter what you did with the knobs!)

I had the gain at noon and the master at 9 o'clock through the 4x12 to keep up with the guitar and drums though. That makes me think you may need more speaker than 1x15 or 2x10 with that head. Obviously, I'm no expert on that amp after one night with one but it's definitely capable with an appropriate amount of cab.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Agree with MrLenny. These are the best bang-for-buck combos out there. Solid build, big power (300w or 500w with extension), and all the pro features. Check out Andrewsmusic to see if they still have them for 350 bucks, other wise Amazon has them but the price went up a little. Even at the Amazon prices, top notch.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...t bass amp&sprefix=Genz Benz Contour ,aps,288

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass