Amp for silent practice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lotusland9663, Feb 3, 2014.

1. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive amp that I can use for silent practice. It'll have to have a headphone jack and an aux input to connect an iPod or CD player. I won't be using it for gigs or recording so I don't need anything powerful or high tec.

Any suggestions??

2. eyoyo

eyoyo Supporting Member

Ampeg BA-108! It's a lovely deep practivce amp.

3. Bassman71

Bassman71 ...in search of the impeccable groove... Supporting Member

4. danharris

danharris

probably not what you looking for but, i run a zoom b3. its all i use. ive got kids and stuff so i run headphones 99% of the time.
    it does not have and aux in but it does usb interface. sometimes i plug it into my laptop and play along to youtube or mp3s. mostly i use the looper and do loopy stuff with my self. there is about 20 or 30 drum tracks that sound quite good. uhh what else....yeah i use the usb to record into ableton or acid or whatever daw you got. its got lots of effects so ive dialed in a few that i like and saved them. ive got synth sounds, lots of reverbs, wah.. there's tons that i dont use cause im kind of a clean tone kind of guy. it runs on aa batteries, ac wall power or usb so its very portable. you can run it into a big amp or pa, direct input or what ever... i love this thing, if i lost it id buy another one tomorrow. i got mine at long and mcquade last year for around $200. if you are close to the city look at the big tom lee on granville, u might find a beter price. im on the island so im kinda at the mercy of the ferry. anyways... look into it, it might work for you.

sorry for the bad english, im typing in bed, one handed, with no glasses.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b3

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

For very silent practice you can use one of these: http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
    I don't have any experience working with them, but I heard good things about it.

And off topic @ danharris: the with one hand in bed comment sounds awkward... :p

7. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

This little guy runs off my computer USB port or using an iPhone (or whatever) USB charger, and I can either play music through the computer or through the line in. I find the ability to cut bass frequencies on the line/USB channel really useful for jamming along with recordings. Bass sounds fine direct. I havent plugged into an amp at home for over a month.

[​IMG]

8. dincz

dincz

That's fine for an active bass but the low input impedance will load the pickups on a passive and cause loss of high end.

9. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Sure, but the headphones will probably have more of an effect in the end. It's really a non-issue, TBH. These things are made for guitars. It gets the job done and the OP wasn't after hi-tech or recording quality.

10. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

+1. :D

Tascam Bass Trainer is worth a look also.

11. bassresistance

bassresistance

Do you have an iPad/iPhone? Plenty of cheap interfaces available that you can use with e.g. JamUp, and they sound pretty good.

12. Antobass

Antobass

I have the iRig and it works very well:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irig/

JamUp is great, has a lot of sounds and a track recorder also

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+2

I run an Apogee Jam into Jamup XT. It sounds great and there are a bunch if useful features for playing through different "rigs" and learning stuff.

14. dincz

dincz

I have a Xenyx mixer and have tried this. The difference is more than subtle.

Some small mixers are made for guitar/bass and have high impedance inputs - 500Kohm or 1megohm. The inputs on the Xenyx are only 20Kohm which is way too low to connect a pickup to.

15. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Supporting Member

Ampeg BA108. Great with decent headphones, input to play along with, great tone, and has enough oomph to sound good without headphones.

16. dspellman

dspellman

I have a Line 6 Bass Pod XT "bean" modeler.

[​IMG]

There are also rack and floor versions out there, as well as foot pedals for the bean version. http://line6.com/legacy/basspodxt

No longer made, but fairly widely available on the used market and not expensive there.

17. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I'm very happy with my Line6 Lowdown LD15.

The preset effects are good, the sound it good, I like the response and it works well.

There is an 1/8" headphone jack, and an 1/8" input jack for an mp3 player, computer, pod, etc etc.

18. cica

cica

Tascam GB-10 will do everything you need. Change key, speed, loop, store to SD card ...

19. Kikegg

Kikegg

Well, someone suggested the Amplug.

I use a POD HD300 headphones out -> PC Line in -> Audacity as play/record software -> PC headphone out.

Sure you can use any other cheap pedalboard or USB interface for that. I like mine 'cos it has a very nice Fender Bassman emulation and that's what I use.

Hope this helps.

20. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Rockman Bass Ace $70. I don't have one, but I would use it.

I use a small yamaha mixer and Zoom MS-60B with some decent headphones.

21. Arnie

Arnie

So what about a small mixer (like the xenix or whatever), take a DI feed out of the amp (ashly pre amp) and feed an audio source ..into another channel... headphone out... Shouldn't this work?