1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Amp for Vintage Sound???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Mar 2, 2014.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new amp. All I have right now is a 20 year old Peavey amp I bought for cheap when i first started playing. Now that I've matured a bit and gotten older, their is no doubt music is my passion. The music that gets me the most passionate is the HEAVY 60/70s bluesy rock and metal bands that we all know and love. Sabbath, Cream, King Crimson and all those great bands as well as the new guys like Radio Moscow, The Heavy Eyes, and Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats are what I love to listen to most. While my current setup has done me well so far, I find it proper to upgrade now that music is such a large part of my life. Currently, I am playing a 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 which I can't see getting rid of. Now to the point, I'm looking for recommendations of amps (new or old) that will give me that great vintage sound! Please don't recommend things that are thousands and thousands of dollars. Around $1000 is a nice number for me. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

The gold standard for that 70s hard rock sound is the Rickenbacker with an Ampeg SVT head and 8x10 cabinet. The real deal SVT is quite expensive but Ampeg makes a lot of amps with similar voicings. The PF-800 is supposed to be good - I've never tried one.

3. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

Ampeg SVT with 8 x 10 Cab!!!!

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Fuzz Bass - pedals

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scf4003

scf4003

Save your money or take out a loan and get an SVT with 8X10 cab. You'll have an outstanding amp that will last the rest of your life and nothing else will ever sound quite as good.

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Orange Terror Bass 500 into 410 cab of choice.

Old school tubey sound, old school 3 band EQ, capable of great levels of hair if you want it. I have been using mine lately--bass at noon, all other EQ off, gain at about 2 o'clock. Fat and wooly.

8. Old Fart

Old Fart

I got my MTI-era SVT for $1000. There is a reason these amps are the gold standard for tone.

9. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Vintage Acoustic Control Corp. amplifiers and cabs!

Great tone, very high quality and criminally undervalued on the used market. With a little luck and patience, you should be able to find a stack for less than $600.

Seriously, you won't regret it.

10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

there are a lot of vintage amps that could do you well. svt classic gets my vote, but the fender bassman pro 100t might give it a run for it's money.

if you have less cash.....70's fender bassman or some sunn amps. there's more, but it has been a long day and my brain hurts......

11. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Ampeg SVT and 810 or vintage Sunn.

12. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I wish someone would buy mine!

On a $1000 budget I'd get a recently serviced V4B and maybe a beat up 810e.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    While I wholeheartedly agree, I also believe in living within your means. So if it were me, I'd do PF800 and one or two PF210he's, PF500 if your budget is being a little stretched. The PF350 also rocks quite well, but I find Ampeg's micros (as well as most others) really benefit tonally by having headroom to spare, so I recently upgraded my PF350 to a PF800. That said, ain't nothing wrong with the PF350 ;) They all get a smiliar sound that's very much in the ballpark of vintage Ampeg...just not as dramatically awesome as the all-tube amps.

14. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

exactly jimmy! what good is a killer amp in the pawn shop?

15. scf4003

scf4003

I need to check these out! There's no way at my age I can haul around an 85lb tube head!

16. DogBone

DogBone

It's all fun and games until someone gets a hernia!

Hey, try those little Ampeg BA combos.

I don't know what your volume requirements are, but if it's TONE you're after in an amp that won't break the bank or the wallet, you should at least TRY that frikkin' BA 112.

I'm here to tell ya, Ampeg got that one right.

17. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I had a PF-800/PF-115 and it was a solid third place in tone while still being under sixty pounds. My SVT-7PRO/410HE was second place in tone and weight, at a little over 100 pounds. My buddy's SVT-CL and 810e is the best bass tone I've ever heard, but it is a bear to move at 225 pounds. So, all things considered, I'd probably say the -7PRO/410 is the best compromise, but the CL/810 is the uncompromising king of tone.

18. bottomend!

bottomend!

19. Alexander

Alexander

Ampeg B100R - there's one in good condition at Seattle Guitar Center for $249. Missing one caster, but works perfectly. Great vintage tone

20. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

still kicking myself for not grabbing one of those when they came out.

21. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

I like how my Aguilar TH500 nails the vintage vibe...and it's under 5lbs! I use a pair of 112's with it and it never fails to please. I guess it doesn't look to vintagey though.