1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amp Head for Vintage Blue B15

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dmk, May 27, 2010.

1. dmk

dmk Supporting Member

What standalone amp head (tube or non-tube) could I use with a Vintage Blue B15 cabinet that would approximate the tone of an original Ampeg B15N head? The cabinet would have the 8ohm-300watt Eminence™ Beta-15a driver.

http://www.vintage-blue.us/home.htm
  2. rodl2005

rodl2005

An orig B-15???? Ampeg V4/B/BH , Mesa Walkabout.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    my choice for new would probably be the micro-av. but i agree with rod...keep a lookout for an orphaned b-15 head. and congratulations on getting a vintage blue. i've got one and it's a work of art!
  4. chiplexic

chiplexic

I've read that when Ampeg reissued the B15 a few years back the head was the same as the V4 that was available at the time. Also many people comment that the Walkabout head is a modern day B15 amp.

I was smiling ear to ear when demoing the new mini SVT. It sounded...well...just like a SVT. I don't know how the head alone would translate with a B15 cab.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    jerrold tiers said that there were similarities between the b15r and v4bh, but they weren't the same amp.
  6. bassbonez

bassbonez

Or you could sell me your cabinet. I have an orphaned B15 Head that I need a cabinet for :)
  7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm Supporting Member

Kinda out of left field, but the EBS Classic t90 comes dang close, IME. Has the Baxandall tone circuit, which to me was the clincher. I've been very happy with mine for a little over 1.5 years now. Used to have a 65 B15N, and through a 15" cab, its a very close run. Only down side I've encountered is its designed to overdrive early, so for band playing, it can be a bit quiet. Or just dirtier than you may want.
  8. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Ampeg PF-350?
  9. Sartori

Sartori

A B-15, obviously.

Or an Ashdown Little Bastard.
  10. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

11. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

+1.

I use a PF-350 with my B-15R cabinet. Sounds great.
  12. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Look for an old Ampeg B-25 or B-25b head. Very similar circuit to the B-15.