1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amp head that matches two separate cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by osroc05, Jan 27, 2014.

1. osroc05

osroc05

Hi, I need help choosing a head that could work for two separate cabs of different ohms/sizes. Its more important to me that the prospective head can match each cab on its own, not necessarily power both at the same time.....I doubt i'll ever need both at the same time... my cabs are: a 410 8ohms hartke cab, & a converted fender bassman 200 15" speaker + horn 4ohm with the original head taken out....

I see a lot of heads that run 4ohms at 300watts or 150 into 8ohms....usually the wattage at 4ohms is more... would it be harmful to my 4ohm 200watt speaker to have a head that is running 4 ohms 300watts?? I would like something that can get close to the 400watts of the 8ohms cab without the destroying the 4ohm cab....

I'm sorry for my novice questions, i've researched impedance and im still confused, I figured it would be easier for me to ask about my specific needs...
  2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Any amp head will do the job.
    The trick with the 200watt 1x15 is to listen to the speaker. It'll let you know if you're pushing it too hard.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

^ What Trevor said.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Not much to add. No amp puts out any of it's wattage with the volume controls at zero. You have control over how much of the power goes to the speaker cab.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to all above. Pay less attention to wattage ratings, and more attention to listening with your ears. A cab pushed beyond it's mechanical limits will sound horrible, so turn down the volume and/or the low eq if this happens. Otherwise, don't worry.
    Oh, and you definitely don't want to use both those cabs at the same time, very bad pairing, and real potential to hurt both the cab and amp.