Amp hunting. Ashdown CTM100 vs DIY Tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DonnyDanger, Jan 4, 2014.

1. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Hi folks,

I'm in dire need of assistance.

My ashdown mag300 is starting to crap out on me after 8 years of service and i'm looking to replace it.

Definately going the tube route and i had set my mind on the Ashdown CTM100. 1140 EURO

That was until this popped up: a DIY tube amp, running on EL34's and dynacord transformers. It has bass and treble EQ and a bass and treble boost switch.

I added the extra pictures here, so that i can put more then 2. (gutshots included)

http://adayearlyandadollarextra.blogspot.be/2014/01/diy-tube-amp.html

With this amp comes a homemade 15" that the seller will add for 55EURO. The amp itself is well under 200 EURO aswell. It will need retubing and i'll probably drop it off at a tech for a full setup, eventhough it has been serviced by a certain Dr Tube, who replaced some components and advised the seller to retube it. So if i were to buy this, i would rehouse it, retube, and maybe mod later on.

SO, basically, should i save more, and longer for the ctm 100 or give this baby a shot? It's a 3h drive to pick it up or test it.

Help me brethren of the bass.

Attached Files:

2. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Anyone with hands on experience concerning the ctm100, feel free to share. Is it worth the price?
  3. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

4. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Do you want a toy, a project, or both? The EL34 amp will likely end up being another couple hundred euro investment if you do any serious modding. Why not go try it out?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

I mostly want a good tube amp to replace my MAG300. I don't know if this will be able to do that, seeing the limited EQ possibilities, i fear for the tone it will produce.

It is dirt cheap though, but if i get it, and i end up not liking it that much, it'll have set me back on my savings for the CTM 100 :meh:

I can get cab and head in the pics for 125 euro + gas money for a 6h drive.
  7. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

I have the CTM 300 and the only difference between the 300 and the 100 is the volume. These are fantastic sounding amps and well worth every penny. I am yet to get a bad sound out of mine. However, the EQ on it does not allow as much adjustment as the MAG or ABM range, but it doesn't really need it. The harmonic content and compression means that you have an edge over guitarists and will always cut through and be heard (unless they use a wall of cabs obviously) and the natural sound of the amp is certainly something to enjoy.

You will need a pretty high rated cab thoufh as the CTMs put out a lot in the 50hz region, so the cab will nees to be able to take it!

Hope that helps :)
  8. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

It does actually help. I really need to calm down and keep saving. I've been wanting an all tube amp for ever and the CTM is gonna make that happen i think.

I really like the sound of my MAG300 so i really think i'm an Ashdown man.

What cab are you running? I was thinking of the ABM610, fairly cheap.
  9. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Supporting Member

The CTM amps sound amazing. Get one, play it hard.
  10. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

It really sucks there's almost no user reviews/clips out there. I won't be able to test it before ordering but i'm thinking it's gonna be worth the risk :D Just need to figure out what cab i'd like.
  11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Markus Orange loves you. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer: Lakland, Hanson Guitars, and Wilkins Guitars
  12. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

I use the ABM 610 or 810 and the 610 sounds amazing with the CTM. I have heard several good things about using the Cl 610, though it is almost as much as the amp!

Buying a CTM 'sight unseen' is not a risk in my opinion :)
  13. DonnyDanger

DonnyDanger

Good news! In that case i'll have a brand new (all tube) setup for about 1800 euro. That's the price of a new svt here in europe.

I'm waiting for my guild starfire reissue to arrive, i hope they'll go good together!

Let the saving continue! :hyper:
  14. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

It will be worth the wait :)

These amps really sing with passive basses so I'm sure it will be a good pairing