Amp Ideas

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by custom300, Mar 30, 2014.

1. custom300

custom300

I'm looking for ideas and perspective on an amp. I'm going to be playing with a small Jazz combo (piano, bass, drum), playing mostly smaller club venues, wine shops etc. I'm on a retro kick right now, and have been looking at putting together a combination of Bassman 50 and some type of cabinet...but I don't want to carry around the Dual 15"s for sure...I want to be able to put it in my trunk easily. I have a TC Electronic BG250....but was wanting something more vintage/retro.

Thoughts?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Anything vintage/retro is going to be heavy. If you want, you could search for an Ampeg B15.

What I would do is take my Genz-Benz SHuttle 6.2 docked on its 12" cab. The total weight is 36 pounds and I'd have gobs more power than I needed. I owned a Bassman 50 for years and it was a boat anchor that didn't have any headroom. The good news about a Bassman head is that with the group you describe, you would only need the bass volume on about 1.5 so you could play without distortion. The bad news is that the head weighs more by itself than the Genz-Benz combo.

3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Fearless Bassic12 or Bassic15 with a Fender Bassman 100T

4. rodl2005

rodl2005

Or Aguilar TH500.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    B-15 or B-12/SB-12 are definitely THE amps to have for that kind of thing, but I've also had good dealings in those situations with the Micro VR/SVT 210av as well if you want retro and super light but more natural sounding than the TC.

8. Linnin

Linnin

As long as money isn't an issue, Fender Bassman 100t & matching Bassman Pro 115 Neo would be a beautiful rig. Totally retro in basic black & silver or blonde & oxblood. Perfect for your needs. :)

9. DogBone

DogBone

"Retro" and "I want to be able to put it in my trunk easily" to me are mutually exclusive.

Do you already own the Bassman 50 or otherwise committed to it? If so then check out Fenders neo cabs.

But if not there's plenty of modern, small, loud, and great sounding lightweight options today that also look the part. Any chance something like that would fit your requirement?

Not retro, but I've been VERY happy -okay, full blown major amp crush I admit it - with my recently purchased Ampeg BA112 and I see A LOT LOT LOT of winery and similar small gig use for it in it's future, and the kickback feature is just made for those small ensembles playing in tight stage space. And okay I drive a station wagon but yeah, it would easily fit in the trunk of most cars. ;)

Oh, the B100R recommendation is a great suggestion! And don't forget there are used B50R combos out there that would simply shine in such an application, depends on how much volume you are looking for of course.

10. custom300

custom300

Hey thanks everyone...i'm still working through all of the responses and checking the suggestions out on Youtube etc. I'll report back on my thoughts, findings and what I land on.

Cheers.
    Jamie

11. custom300

custom300

I had a Genz-Benz 6.0...I matched it with a Phil Jones Piranha 4B...both great, but they didn't really work well together. But the 6.2 with the Shuttle might work better. I see those for sale every once in awhile. Great idea..

I've had 3 bassman's over my career...2 50's and a 100. They are heavy.

Thanks for your insights.

12. custom300

custom300

Wow...those ain't cheap. Thanks for your ideas.

13. custom300

custom300

Not committed at all to the Bassman 50...I was feeling a little nostalgic...I love the Ampeg stuff...I just don't see much need for volume...I'm wanting to lay in the pocket in a very uprightish way. Thanks for your ideas...i'll check those out.

Thanks.

14. DogBone

DogBone

Uprightish?

I hear ya. If you're not committed to tubes and want something easy to live with, that would be the old Rocket series. The incredible B100R and it's just as sweet sounding and sweeter to tote little sister the B50R.

Sadly they're discontinued, but come up used from time to time for not too much money.

Here's a couple of vids to give an idea, and thanks to the video owners who I'm pretty sure at least one of them is a Talkbass member.

B100R
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyahCHxO_bA

B50R
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPhpTjgT5Pk

Good news, the BA112 that I recommended earlier is still available. Tonewise it is highly regarded as probably the best sounding in the BA combo line, and I personally consider it the spiritual successor to the B50R Rocket. It's a ridiculously good sounding amp for a small combo.

And it has a great EQ section with a lot of "Ampeg" baked in. On mine I"ve worked out settings for a very convincing '60s fliptop all the way to to a grinding "baby: SVT and many points in between.

Of course, it doesn't have the drop dead gorgeousness of the Diamond Blue Rocket series, but the black w/ white piping is classy and attractive and is still distinctively Ampeg.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project and I wish you the best. :bassist:

15. custom300

custom300

Thanks for all of your time on this. In all sincerity, you've got me thinking a whole new direction on this. I appreciate your experience and willingness to share your opinion.