1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Amp on a budget?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CfoScoop, Jan 28, 2014.

1. CfoScoop

CfoScoop Supporting Member

I'm new to the whole amp world, so I wanted opinions and answers on this:
    -Combo amp or amp/head?
    -Solid State or Tube?
    -Size?
    -Power?

Also, I don't have a bunch of money to spend, so something that won't break the bank. I'm thinking about 500 max.
    Thanks

2. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Used head and cab. Upgrading is easier.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I would normally agree going with head/cab over a combo, but the Genz Benz Contour combos are such a sick deal right now I HAVE TO recommend them. EBAY has them new for 350 bucks and Amazon has them for 399.00. STEAL for a combo with a 500w amp and good speakers. 115 and 210 versions available.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Agree that is one of the best bass amp bargins out there.

Sweetwater is offering their remaining stock of version two Fender Rumbles at firesale prices as they close them out.

I wouldn't drag your feet on either one, so get while the gettin' is good. :bassist:

7. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I had recently bought a GK MB115 used as a backup for my Phil Jones Super Flightcase (and to use for EB gigs).

Saw a comment on TB that the GB Contour was 'the best deal on the planet'.

Just ordered and received one through ProStarAudio thru ebay. This is an INCREDIBLE AMP. I immediately resold the GK and am loving this new amp. I do a lot of surfing for deals online and I don't think you can touch this much quality amp at this price.

Granted, its 52 pounds instead of 38 for the 115 GK, the GK 212 is 41 pounds.

Also, I haven't played the 212, but with the 115 there was no comparison. I never enjoyed the sound from my BG as much as I do now (this is my first Genz-Benz - and perhaps unfortunely my last since they are now part of Fender). One of the biggest benefits to the Genz Benz is a Contour Knob which is continuously variable. The GK only had an on/off switch for contour and I wasn't really happy with what it did.

Anyway, I can't recommend this amp strongly enough. If you end up disagreeing it only costs you the return shipping.

Good Luck ! and let us know what you do.

http://www.proaudiostar.com/genz-benz-contour-ctr500-210t-bass-amp.html

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

9. DogBone

DogBone

Practice amps (new):

Ampeg BA series

Peavey Max series

Fender Rumble series

Practice amps in the 10-30 watt range (solid state typically) great for woodshedding or playing with another guitarist or two at living room volumes.

To play with a drummer, something in the 200 wattish or up range with a 15" speaker or 2 10" speakers is a good reference point. Some 100 watt amps will be more than enough for some folks, 1,000 watts still not enough for other folks so you know, grain of salt right? ;)

IMO Stick with solid state, wait for tubes until you know better what particular sound your after and what kind of volume you're going to want.

Combos are brutally simple and have their place.

Head and cab more flexible, but tend to be a little more expensive, and you need to understand about cabinet ohms and why it matters, also the difference between instrument cables and speaker cables (unless of course it's newer and uses twist locks!)

Good luck.

10. NWB

NWB

The GB Contour would be my first choice in that price range.

If they get sold out, I'd be watching the new line coming out from Peavey. Those look quite interesting.

11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

12. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

+1!
    I use a 200 watt Yorkville BM200, it's a 115 combo. I can more than keep up with two guitarists and a drummer during band practice/rehearsal.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

14. Cirk

Cirk

That GB on ebay looks like a fine choice.

15. CfoScoop

CfoScoop Supporting Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm probably either going to get the Genz Benz combo, or perhaps an affordable cab/head deal. However, I found an amp on Craigslist for $150: Fender 4x12 cab from the 90's. Opinions on that?

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    There is no budget, only Zool!!

But seriously, I am not so sold on that Fender 412. Keep shopping, and skip the combo stage, OK? :cool:

17. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

It's better to have too much power and not need it than to have not enough and need it..

Shop used!!!

Hartke Heads are a great bang for your buck and can be found anywhere and everrywhere

I suggest looking for a HA2500 or a HA3500 and a used 4x10" or 15" cab!!! Can be easily had for under $500!!

18. DogBone

DogBone

Hey, I'm a geezer and I'm still in the combo stage!

Or should I say, I left and came back to combos.

My rig for the last 7 or so years has primarily been my little Ampeg BA210.

But then again, I'm in bands and ensembles that have nice PAs so I don't have to sweat a massive rig - that is unless I wanted to. ;)

19. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Never underestimate the power of Craigslist.

I just picked up a Hartke LH1000 in a Pro Cases 4U rack with a Furman M-8LX and a Hartke 4.5XL for $250. The cab is about 2 years old and except for a little fuzziness in the rat fur and some debris in the port is in great shape. The LH1000, the Furman and the rack are less than 2 months old.

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I hate it when that happens, especially the debris...:eek: :eek: :eek: