Amp placement in small spaces....help please.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MDrost1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. MDrost1

MDrost1

I own a TEN2 and am very pleased with my sound.

I am looking for some amp placement advice. I have been playing a lot of jazz trio gigs in smaller spaces and have the amp at my ankle due to space, however, I have a hard time hearing myself. I am writing to see if you have any tried and true methods of amp placement, so I might be able to hear myself more accurately and not have to compete in a volume war with the rest of the group. Any advice would be much appreciated!
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

MDrost.
    I was wondering if you have enough space to use the those extendable legs/feet on the bottom of the Ten2? That might help you hear a little better. I use a Ampwedge for my QSC K8 so the speaker is angled up and therefore easier to hear, but I don't think it would work for the Ten2
    Auaralex Audio manufactures a couple of isolation platforms for amplifiers and subwoffers. Their Gramma and Sub Dude II platforms, isolate the amp and raise it from the floor, but again I don't know if it will work with that Ten2 because of the downfiring 10. You'd have to borrow one and test it out. Alternately, you could just ask your bandmates to help you, by keeping the overall group volumes at reasonable levels so you can all hear the bass.:)

Ric
  3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Some folks put the AI combos on a hard-seated chair (not upholstered) - this gets it "up in the air" and closer to your ears without diminishing the output from the downfiring speaker.
  4. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

Tilt-back amp stand or Markbass wedge maybe?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MDrost1

MDrost1

Thanks guys. Mark, that was the same advice that Rick gave me. I'll try it. I am also going to try to get the amp away from me as well...thanks for the advice.
  7. Ric Vice

Flat Fender,
    I'm pretty sure that would not work. The Ten2 has a down firing 10" speaker in the bottom of the cabinet. The Markbass wedge would most likely block the speaker.

Ric
  8. Lo-E

Lo-E

This is good advice in small spaces regardless of what amp you're using. It's good advice in general. Unfortunately, it's also really hard to accomplish in smaller venues. +1 on using a chair or box to raise it up and get out as far in front of it as you can.
    Good luck!
  9. Ric Vice

Lo E,
    Chairs in tight spaces do present a problem. They can suck up all your space, and shoe horn you into a corner. The Amp Wedge seems to work best for me in those situations. Little stages are not fun for basses.

Ric
  10. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

I have owned 2 AI amps and currently own a series IV Coda. In smaller rooms I find that there is better dispersion of sound if you place the amps very close to a wall or in the very corner of a room. I don't know why this happens, but I suspect there is a greater coupling effect.
  11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    I also try to get the combo as far as way from me as possible and it pays to get to the location early for setup.
  12. longfinger

longfinger

Sometimes I put the amp in front of me and point it back at me, like a stage monitor. I always use the built in tip-up legs.

The other thing to try in a small space is to borrow a bar stool from the venue and play sitting down. Your ears will be closer to the floor, and closer to the ear height of the drummer / pianist / sitting guitarist.

Volume wars happen when people are loud to everyone else, but not to themselves.
  13. what the pluck

what the pluck

I find that sometimes if there is a wall behind me if I turn the amp around, tilt it facing the wall I hear myself better then if the amp is pointing at me.
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I generally try to get the amp as far away from me as possible, too. Usually it's at home in the closet.
  15. jrlynch

jrlynch Supporting Member

If you're talking about a truly small room, score a mini monitor, like the mackie, and get it up at ear level so you can hear yourself, and go acoustic.
  16. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

I've got one or two amps and cabs, but for tight spaces I have a Gallien Krueger MB150S combo which I mount on its adaptor that sits on top of a mic stand behind me. Not sure if this is still available but a really useful piece of kit.
  17. Ric Vice

Roger,
    I know not why, but Gallien Krueger apparently decided to stop production on the mike stand mount, that they designed for the original 200MB (Series I, and Series II) and the MBS and MBE. I used mine all the time, especially on outdoor stages where I sent the DI on the GK, FOH for the sound out front, and then used the MB's as a ear level monitor. I might actually have one downstairs in the basement, but I'm not one hundred percent sure that it's still in the basement. The really crazy thing is that, last time I looked, the two screws are still drilled in the sides of the MBS and MBE to accept a mount that they no longer manufacture. If you look click on the picture below, you'll clearly see the place holder screws, installed on the sides of each or the cabinets, ready to be removed, and then replaced the the mounting kit knobs.

Ric

Attached Files:

18. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

I keep my Noamp handy at all times.
  19. Ric Vice

+1/-1
    Personally, although I'm not partial either way, I've got small gear, and a small bass, so even in a duo, I'll most likely bring something, as it just makes things easier on my fingers and hands. I do practice regularly, with the bow , and pizzicato acoustically, to work on sound production. I often play at church sans amp, on classical and baroque works. Acoustical works, with a bow, and an un amplified string ensemble, are my only forays into Noamp island.

Ric
  20. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

I hear you, Ric. I guess my environmental circumstances (i.e. taking the subway to gigs, not owning a car, not having the dough to pick up one of Mike Arnopol's little cabs that I've been coveting) might come into play with my extensive Noamp usage. But, I do know that there are certain settings (or just the band's vibe) that necessitate plugging into an amp or PA so I'm not against plugging in (and I'd be lying if I said there wasn't ever an instance where I went to a gig without an amp only to wish I had *something* to plug into.. thems the breaks though). If someone can play well I'm not going to go on a tirade just because they're using an amp (unless maybe they're getting a nasty sound out of the amp).
  21. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    No tirade, but every gig I do without an amp just makes me want to do more gigs without one. There's something about that 3 dimensional sound that you just don't get with a amp and speaker cabinet.