Amp Pot Question....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Mar 25, 2014.

1. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Hi, so I am attempting to repair an old Marshall G10 MK. II amp and the only problem I can find is that all 3 of the pots are broken. All 3 of the pots are A50K and the controls are "Gain", "Contour", and "Volume". I really don't want to take the time and money to go out looking for A50K replacement pots seeing that this amp is old a cheap anyway, so I am wondering if I could use some A250K pots I have lying around without major consequence? Also what effect on the amp would A250K pots have if I do decide to do this? And yes I am sure there is no other problem with the amp. :bassist:
  2. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

You will likely have little control over your gain and volume controls. Turn the volume or gain knob up slightly and be at full volume or gain.

For the Contour, the value forms part of the equalization circuit. A different value would throw the EQ curve off substantially.

Go to www.mouser.com and buy the correct pots at something like $2 or $3 each. You will have to select the correct ones by measuring their physical size and going through the catalog, they don't stock them as "Marshall replacement pots" because to them they are just...pots.
  3. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps Supporting Member

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    47k might be easier to find, new standard.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps Supporting Member

47k is a standard resistor value but not for potentiometers. 50k is the standard pot value. A quick check with mouser shows 511 different 50k pots stocked but only 18 47k pots stocked.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Also ensure that it is an AUDIO or log taper.
  8. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Thanks for the answers. I think I will try to repair the pots and if that fails I will have to buy some.