1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Amp Problem with GK

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SnowCal, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SnowCal

SnowCal

I'm having kind of a recurring, transient problem with my GK 400RB-iii combo. Within a few minutes of startup it suddenly sounds strangled. Real quiet and flabby. I've learned that I can instantly remedy this by smacking all my strings and sending a big ugly signal to the amp. It works great after that.

Sometimes it does this twice within the first 10 minutes of playing. More often not at all. But most often once.

Does anybody have an idea how to permanently fix this? It's an obnoxious problem more than anything else.

Turning the amp off doesn't fix it. The only thing that seems to work is a big nasty slap.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

A qualified amp technician can diagnose and fix the problem, unless you have the required experience and test equipment to do it yourself. Amp tech's are your friend.

3. afiaowo

afiaowo

Is it the same bass and cable every time?

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yes, if you've swapped/tested everything external to the amp (cables, cabinet, instrument, etc) and you know the problem is definitely in the amp then it's time to put it in the shop. Regular amp maintenance, like spraying contact cleaner in the pots, checking for burned components or broken solder joints, using compressed air to blow the dust out, can help extend the life of your amp. But yours sounds like a component failure that a tech should look at.

Please forgive my profound glimpse into the obvious. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

:meh: Huh, a GK 400RB-iii combo? :confused:

Anyway, I recommend just taking it to a repair shop and getting it fixed.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Try running a patch cable from the effects send to the effects return jacks. If that fixes it, you need to clean those jacks. At least try that before taking it in.

8. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Yes try this first before anything. Serial effects loop return jacks have internal contacts that connect the preamp and power amp. They are subject to micro corrosion (can't be seen with the eye) and can cause a wide range of strange problems. Any make of amp with a serial effects loop can have these troubles.