1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amp question from newb

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Squawk, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

So I have a Fender 100 rumble combo. I'm just getting into playing bass after years of acoustic. Hopefully be gigging bars in about a year. Have no experience with any other combo amps, cabinets or heads. The size and weight are more than I want to carry around just for jamming. And I don't know if it is what I need to so small bar gigs.

As far as the sound, I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first amp.

Suggestions? I'd like something smaller to practice with. Lugging around a 60 lb amp for jamming is silly to me, and anytime I'm jamming practicing with a drummer, I'm going through a PA.

But if I'll need it to gig, then I guess I'll keep it.
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I would think that something like the Genz Benz shuttle series would be right up your alley. Light, super powerful and now that Fender is shutting them down, they are available for amazing prices.

I have never been a fan of the Rumble series. I see them as practice amps as they aren't loud enough for most gigs and even the quietest drummer that I play with totally drowns it out. But that is just me. Many people adore the series and have great success with it.
  3. Wallygator

Wallygator

OK keep in mind I am also a noob. but I just picked up a used Line 6 Studio 110. This thing is tiny and loud enough for my rehearsals and at 24 pounds it's a dream. I know there are better amps out there but for something easy on the wallet, easy on the back, it is a decent little amp with an XLR out to hook direct to a PA.
  4. DRafalske

DRafalske

+1 for a Shuttle combo. I have Shuttle 6.0-12T and really enjoy it.

Would also suggest checking out TC's BG250 combos.
  5. Squawk

Squawk

I should also state, I want aux input, a headphone jack and whatever output I'd need to run into a PA. EQ isn't big deal. I have an EQ pedal.
  6. Jjacks651

Jjacks651

I've heard the Galien Krueger MB212 II, its only 40 pounds and has 400 watts, great sound and punch for a combo, GK also has the MB210 for about $150.00 less and it weighs less too. A good choice if you are not playing against Marshall Stacks! Most clubs in CT only require a 2x10 or 2x12 at most and 400 watts is ample for anything indoors usually. Something bigger and you need to plug into the sound system anyway. I used to have the Fender Rumble 100x210 and it just didn't cut it. I have a Hartke 250 watt head and a SWR 2x10 Lil Monster cab that is just fine for practice or small clubs and an Eden WT400 head with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs for larger venues. Though I think if I could only have one combo, it would be that GK MB212 II.

John

PS. The opinions you get here are worth exactly what you paid for them. ;-)
  7. Squawk

Squawk

I wish I could spend the money on a 212. I'm looking more in the $300-$400 range. I know I won't get that same quality for that price but I just bought a $700 guitar and $500 in pedals and a bridge.

Any recommendations in that price range?
  8. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Supporting Member

Ampeg Micro CL. I know it is a head and cab, but both are light. And you can double up with another 210 cab if needed. Line out to PA as well.
  9. Squawk

Squawk

Any opinions on Acoustic amps?
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

The Micro CL is 8ohm, one cabinet only. The Micro VR on the other hand, 200 watts and able to handle a second cab.

I've got a CL behind my recliner and it could probably keep up with a small gig and quiet drummer, but the VR can handle a little more.
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Not terrible amps, but they won't really be better than your rumble.
  12. klokker

klokker

You have what you have. If you are really serious about doing bar gigs in the future, I'd save up for a serious gig rig and your 100 Rumble doesn't really qualify. I doubt you'll be happy with it in a gig situation. You have what you need right now, even if its a pain to lug around.

Spending another 300-400 dollars for another compromise doesn't seem to be the way to go for you at this point. Put it into something later that will give you a little MORE than you need.

Just speaking from my own experience.
  13. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Get a hand truck in the mean time. )
  14. klokker

klokker

+1. You could get a little DI or a way to plug into your PA at practice and leave your amp at home as well......I never take anything to my rehearsals anymore except a DI.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

+100 I agree totally. :cool: