Amp reality check

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mattm, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mattm

mattm

So I am thinking about getting a new amp. I have a 10-watt practice amp I've used to shake the walls of my bedroom for about 3 years now. There is a possibility that I may actually play with some other folks in the future, but certainly nothing too fancy. Aside from that, I've just been curious about having a "real amp".

I've got around $300 to spend. At first I thought I might get that 100w Acoustic 260 mkii ministack, even though I get the feeling that I'm getting taken in by some marketing gimmick with it. I did really like it when I played it in the store, though.

But then I see that, for the same price, I could get, amongst several other options, one of those new Peavey Max 115 combos that is 300 watts, and in my guitar playing past I've never had any issue with Peaveys. I certainly don't need 300 watts in my bedroom, but my Polish heritage tells me to go with the best value. Plus, my toddlers love to switch my amps on and off repeatedly when no one is looking, and Peaveys are generally built to last.

I could even just spend a bit more and get a separate head/cab, but I don't think my delusions of grandeur run that deep yet.

Anyway, given all that, what advice do you have, TB?
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Buy once, cry once.............

Look used, and try to get yourself something that will cover all of your bases for now (bedroom practice, band practice, small/med gigs).

They all come with volume knobs, so low volume work won't be a problem, and if/when you get in a band and start gigging, you should be covered for a while.
  3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I have heard great reviews about that Acoustic Mini here on Talkbass, though I have never played it myself. When I first started playing in a band I had an old Peavey tnt 115 (150 watts I believe), and that thing was a tank. Well built and loud! That Peavey Max has some great features, headphones , tuner, MP3 CD input. I think if you plan on playing in a band the Peavey would be the best value. Hopefully someone who has one will chime in on it!. Good luck!
  4. toobalicious

toobalicious

+1 on the used peavey tank. i am seeing things like the old TNT's going for $150 and less on my local craigslist.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Check around online. You could pick up a new TC Electronic BG-250 combo for about that price. A very loud 250 watts at 35lbs with lots of versatility.
  7. Mushroo

Mushroo

My first practice amp was a used Peavey, my first gigging amp was a used Peavey, and my current gigging cabinet (but not head) is a used Peavey. Can't go wrong for the price. :)
  8. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

A 100 watt amp is good for practice and very small, quite groups in small rooms. If you are going to play rock with a drumer and a couple of guitars, I would find something larger used.
  9. Aznslappadabass

Aznslappadabass

I might just follow this too since I'm in a oddly very similar situation.
  10. capncal

capncal

for 300 bucks you should be able to pick up a sweet combo amp. Acoustic makes a pretty nice 115 combo that you can get new for under 300. finding something used may be the best route, it generally is.

Peavy's are tanks so you can't go wrong there. I had an Ampeg 210 combo I bought off craigslist for $175 and loved! Only traded it in to get an Ampeg hln 410 cab.
  11. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    I saw a signature somewhere that went something like "Every bassist has to use Peavey sometime, so you might as well get it over with."

Definitely accurate. Shop used, buy Peavey, stay in your budget with less-than-new gear that has stood the test of time. Craigslist always has plenty.
  12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
  13. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

another vote for used Peavey gear, the TNT combos are great bang for the buck, have used them for many years in various situations with good results.

If you're gigging, though, you'll want something a little more powerful unless you can add another (matching) speaker to it. But for rehearsals and small quieter gigs that +/- 130 watts will do just fine.
  14. toobalicious

toobalicious

hey, if you cant say it with a peavey, it probably doesnt need to be said anyway.
  15. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

16. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    Now that I think about it, the bass player in the band opening for the Faceless paid like, exactly $300 on a Peavey TNT 115 combo (or possibly 112, it was dark) with a DI built in so he just ran it to the PA. You have a TON of options.
  17. mattm

mattm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like I'll be heading to Craigslist. Might try to be content and patient until the need actually arises, we'll see how that goes...
  18. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You can also try the used selection at GC

If you go on their website, you can search used gear everywhere and have it shipped to your local store.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Yea, the BA-115 is a tough little amp. Ashdown also makes some goood little combos. I'd definitely look used, a lot of these amps people are selling look like they never even left their house. Also, look for a combo that can handle an additional "extension" speaker cab so you've got a little bit of room to grow if needed.
  20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

It's hard to beat peavey for the money. I like many have used the TNT for many years with good results. You should be able to find one for less than $300

I have a BG500 that I purchased for church. For the money it's a good deal. Could probably get close to $300
  21. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy Banned

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Guitar center has a USED YORKVILLE BASSMASTER XS400 2x10 COMBO listed.

Used to have one of these. Fantastic amp - good for all but the biggest rooms, and has a great direct-out. Has an option to use a tube or Solid state preamp, great EQ and a built in Compressor/Limiter. Competes well with the much more expensive SWR Super Redhead

They are asking $250.00 Bet you can get it for a bit less and they will ship it too you.

If it was me I would grab this beast immediately. They will usually send you a few good photos if wyou call and ask for them. Contact info as follows:

Guitar Center Youngstown
    Boardman, Ohio 44512
    330-629-7588