Amp recommendations for AE410 and AE210

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Kevin McKee, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Kevin McKee

Kevin McKee Supporting Member

I use the AE410 all the time and add the AE210 for big stages. I play in a 9 piece, top 40, dance, party band. We travel so my gear is handled by roadies and lives on a truck. Weight is not an issue.

I currently have a rack with an Eden Navigator and Stewart World amp. My sound is clean with plenty of volume but maybe a little too mid strong.

I'm looking for a good match for the mid happy bergs. Maybe something with a little more oompf than what I currently use. I also need it to be able to handle a 4ohm and 8ohm cabinet at the same time.

??
  2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

With the EQ power of the Eden, you should be able to scoop out any portion of the mids you want very easily. If that preamp has the enhance knob (can't remember), a little bit of that will widen the very punchy AE 10's nicely, and extend the low end.

If you don't quite understand how to use the semi-parametric EQ power of that preamp, take a bit more time with it.

Try the enhance. If that doesn't do it for you, experiment with cutting a bit between 250 and 500 in the lower/mid mids, and/or cutting 1K to 2K in the upper mids, depending on which area of mid presence is not to your liking. A slight boost of the bass control will also go a long way to increasing the upper bass to low mid ratio.

No reason to spend any money IMO, unless the size and weight of that rack is starting to get old.

The only head I can think of that has the inherent 'scoop', big low end, etc. that you are wanting, and that also is safe operatin at 2.67 ohms is the Mesa M6/M9.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would suggest a Mesa/Boogie M6 or M9. They can handle the 2.67 ohm load, and have a bit of a scoop to the mids which works really well with the AE410/AE210. Lots of "oomph," too, with either head. If you don't need the graphic EQ and/or compressor, I like the M6 (which is just as loud as the M9, IME). I have done outside gigs with my M6/AE410/AE210, and it had tone and volume for days. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  4. Kevin McKee

Any opinion on how a db751 would match up sound wise?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That would work pretty nicely also. You would lose a lot of upper midrange/top end, and the bottom would be bigger (like with the M6/M9).

The Eden falls right in the middle of the M6/9 and DB751 (i.e., inherent, pre EQ tonality).

Again, there is NO reason you need a new head to get to where you need to be. There is such massive EQ on the Navigator, that you can easily soften the mid punch and brightness of the AE cab.

That being said, if for some reason you are set on getting a new head, both those options will be bigger down low. The M6/9 will be much more aggressive and bright up top versus the Eden, and the DB751 will be more relaxed and organic up there.
  7. Kevin McKee

Ken, I can't thank you enough for the great advice! I usually run every knob on the Navigator at 12:00. Lately I've been bumping bass and treble to smooth out the "gank" I'm going to try your mid section EQ recommendations.

I had an ht322 and felt that it was a little to full on the bottom. The AE's solved that but I'm missing some if it now.

Anybody else playing out regularly with Berg AE410's?
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I gigged the AE410 for a number of years. I too found the HT322 a bit 'too much of a good thing... deep bass, a bit scooped, and very hi fi up top. Of course, many love that tonal profile. The only reason I'm not still gigging the AE410 is that I moved to the CN212, which has similar output, a similar tone profile, but with a touch more low end and a more relaxed upper mid response, all in a smaller form factor. I could still be happily gigging the AE410 though.

Yeah, mess with the EQ. A touch of enhance (not much) will easily widen and smooth the AE410. You won't get all the way to an HT322 no matter how you EQ, but you can easily widen and smooth the AE410, which is a great little hammer. Add the 8ohm AE210, and you have one of the best 610's ever produced IMO!
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

I've used many amps w my ae210. Right now a GK MB500
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Just as a caution, to work properly together the 2x10 must have twice the impedance of the 4x10. This ensures that each driver in either cabinet is getting the same amount of power. anything else will lead to problems down the road. If the 4x10 is 4Ω then the 2x10 should be 8Ω. you should bear that in mind when selecting an amplifier. In my example, 2.67Ω, you'll need an amp that can handle a 2Ω load.
  11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

This is the case with the AE410 and AE210
  12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Ken - I can relax now!! :)
  13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Man! KJungs comments are right on again! Nice work Ken!

No need for a new amp. That rig is really quite versatile and sounds like it's exactly what you need. You just need some EQ help.

I have an Eden WT400 and a home built WTX900 based on the Eden WTX500. I use both of these extensively with the AE410. I like the enhance knob no higher than 9:00. It cuts out some of the 330Hz range and boosts 40Hz and some highs that I can't remember the center of.

I'd suggest you use the semi-parametric mid band set with a bit of cut and do a frequency sweep until the mids that are offending you start to disappear. Alternatively, you can boost this mid band and perform the frequency sweep until the offending band jumps out at you and then cut the signal after at that frequency once found.
  14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Yep, if I'm not mistaken, all of Berg's "medium" sized cabs (4x10s and 2x12s) are 4 ohms, whereas the small ones (1x12 and 2x10) are all 8 ohms.

I was a little bummed that the NV115 is 8 ohms, as that means I can't use it with my SVT. I'm not a big 15 guy, but that looks like a very awesome cab.

And yes, I think an Eden through an AE410 would absolutely slam. No need to change, unless you want something with a totally different vibe (e.g., an all-tube amp).
  15. chris_b

chris_b

I primarily used a Thunderfunk 550 with my AE410 and then with 2 AE210's. Sounded wonderful.

I've now switched to Bergantino 12's, with a Thunderfunk 750 and a TH500, but all my amps, (including various Markbass and TC versions) have sounded great with Berg cabs.