Amp repair; Tooooo muchhhh feedback

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Blargh, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Blargh

Blargh

So I've a little 60W combo amp for about 5 years now and a few years back I had to get the input jack replace. I send it to this local electronics shop to get fixed and everything was good until about six months later when it developed a reaaaallly loud static that muffled out the actually sound of the instrument it was amplifying. So I just put it away and used my other amps.

I pulled it out today when a buddy came over to jam and we got it to work, but it's still really muffled and static-y, and very once in a while it would throwback the gnarliest feed back I've ever heard. Like enough to scare the neighbors.

I've decided to take it apart and fix it myself (as I now have a pretty decent understanding of electronics). I took it apart and there's a scrape on the circuit board, but the copper is still in tact; it just scraped the green insulation or whatever. The soldering job on the input jack isn't the best Ive ever seen either.

So basically I just need advice on what you all think it is and how I can fix it. Thanks!
  2. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Amps belong in Amps forum. Amps are not hardware; bridges and tuners are hardware. The guys over in amps will help you

Click the report post button and ask the moderators to move it there. :D
  3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I'd start be resoldering everything that looks dodge, and everything that has mechanical stress (like board mounted jacks and switches, pots, anything heavy and supported by the board etc.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

+1 chances are good a cold solder joint is to blame. If the loss of the solder mask (scrape) worries you, apply a thin bead of solder there incase there is a micro crack in the copper trace.
  5. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Hey, I'm over in Gallatin, I can help you out with it if you can bring it over my way.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I knew this would turn out well!