Amp set up

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by StrayBlackDog, Nov 18, 2012.

1. StrayBlackDog

StrayBlackDog

Hi there,

I'm planning to buy a new head+cab but just can't figure out the best way to go.

I rehearse in a tiny studio but play good sized venues.

So far I figured I love the Gallien Krueger sound&feel the most throughout my search but don't know how far my 800 euro budget can go.

I'm looking for a solution that I can live with for a while, something that can deliver fatness and powerful sound both on stage and studio.

It's been a while since I had some cash to gear up and don't want to waist it.

Someone can help?
  2. zortation

zortation

I would recommend a 410 or possibly a 212, 8 ohm, and any amp of your choice.
  3. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I think the Genz Benz streamliner 900 would fill your needs. Can get pretty fat and approach the SVT sound a bit or it can clean up and get a more modern sound. For cabs, I would go with 12's.
  4. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    moved to Amps
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Don't know Euro prices but IMHO check out the G-K NEO212 or 212MBE cabs and either a MB Fusion or MB-500 head.
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

300 or more watts, and at least an 8 ohm 2x12, or 4x10 for starters. Buying used stretches the budget.
  8. StrayBlackDog

StrayBlackDog

so you're saying that 2x12 is better then 4x10's?
    why?
  9. B-string

I find 212's more even sounding and definitely have less beaming effects than a 410. Easier load in/out as well. YMMV.
  10. StrayBlackDog

StrayBlackDog

11. StrayBlackDog

StrayBlackDog

....and what's the best head to pair with a 2x12 cab in your opinion? maybe keeping the option to add a 1x15?
  12. Sartori

Sartori

Why would you add a 1x15 to a 2x12?
  13. B-string

I would add a second 8 ohm 212 cab instead of a 115, nothing to be gained with a 115 over a second 212 except the potential lower power handling of a 115.
    Personally I would choose the G-K MB Fusion or the MB 800. But I don't know Euro conversion, a used G-K 700RB II would pair VERY nicely also.
  14. StrayBlackDog

StrayBlackDog

Thank you all for the support guys! As soon as I'll have the chance check out some shops I'll get back to you for some help for the final decision.
    B-string I've checked out some of your tracks and sounded very cool!!!!
    Nice meeting you all
  15. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I would suggest a European made amp. You could have a hard time dealing with warranty issues with USA made amps. Not sure how it all works but that's just my opinion. Good luck.
  16. B-string

Thanks! The old guy can still play some ;) :cool:
  17. StrayBlackDog

StrayBlackDog

Hey all! Hey B-string!
    I finally found a minute to go to a shop and tried a GK 400 rb head (used) $665 with a 2x12MB cab (new) $540 and sounded amazing but missed a little bit of low freq as if it didn't deliver the bass I expected. Is it because I'm a lousy player or my expectations where to high? Am I being ripped off? All this amp buying situation is driving me nuts!!!!
  18. B-string

The G-K NEOs deepen and smooth out after they break in. It takes a few hours. Those cabs also project REALLY well, up close you may not hear the people being pounded with low end out front. :)