1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Amp setting for alt. rock/metal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by recode, Sep 17, 2013.

1. recode

recode

Hi guys! I like playing some stuff like Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Red, Pillar, Skillet and etc. But i really dont know how to set up a bass amp, mostly i mean EQ. Usualy i scoop the mids, on the amp i got setting: bass 12 o clock, low mid, mid and high mid at about 10, treble 12 and im using Behringer BDI to make my sound valvish, on the pedal eq is flat, but a bit boosted bass. Does anyone know EQ settings and gear of those guy?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

EQ is tricky, and a lot depends on the rest of your gear, and your own unique style of playing. But, scooped mids is usually not the best way to get a good bass tone in a band mix. In fact, try setting everything at noon, and boosting the low mids a tad. Should get you started at least. Then, read the stickies at the top of the amps page to get a better understanding on how all this stuff really works.
  3. recode

recode

I think in such music, i dont want to really cut throug the mix, i want to support my band with my bass, but in some part of songs when im playing higher notes, i want them to by heard. Over all i found boosting mids makes my sound muddy. especilly low mids.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

With out knowing specifics about your gear "12 o'clock" doesnt mean anything as far as settings go.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, that's right. If we knew exactly what gear we're talking about, it would help. The 12 o clock suggestion was just a starting point, but could be way off, depending.
  6. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I would boost mids and highs while getting rid of a tad of lows. Always works wonder for me. Maybe very light overdrive while your at it.
  7. recode

recode

Im using The Ashdown combo, i dont remember the model. its old and its looks like Evo models, it has bass, low mid, mid, high mid, treble. And bass im using is old Jackson reworked bass, i have dimarzio pickups on it and it has mahagony body and neck. Also im using behringer BDI, it makes my sound a lot better.