Amp settings when using multi-effect....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Johnny StingRay, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

I play a StingRay5 through a Boss ME-20B into a GK MB112. I keep the amp EQ settings at 12:00, no contour; w/a touch of bass above the detent, mid at the detent, and slight less treble below the detent on the SR5.

My question for those using multi-effects, how do you set your amp EQ??? Do you let the multi-effect take care of that, or have you found out through "experimental" type adjustments amp settings that will enhance the pre-sets of the multi-effect?

Thank you ahead of time for your responses.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    EQ is only for specific cases, specific rooms, specific ears, specific tones. The only answer is experimentation with your own specific case.

That said, if you are using amp simulation in your multieffect, you can often get best results by bypassing the amp's built in preamp altogether. Do this by plugging your multieffect into the effects loop return jack, instead of using the regular inputs.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

No matter what I'm using I will always dial in a good sound at the amp and them introduce effects on that platform.

I don't use modeling, just effects

4. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

As a rule, I usually have my amp set pretty flat and use the multi-effect unit (in my case Zoom B3) to get the ballpark sound I want.

I then use the amp's controls to tweak my sound on stage/rehearsal to suit the room etc.
    It's easier to adjust EQ right there in front of me than have to scroll through the settings at floor level.

Works for me anyway!

5. Register to disable this ad