1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Amp shopping. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mplsgetscold, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

I'm looking to buy my first ever tube head! I don't know enough about bass amps to make a decision on my own so I'm gonna ask the world of talkbass.

I'm looking for an amp that sounds good overdriven. It's purpose will be gigs and studio use. It will be run through my Ampeg 810.

I've been reading up on different amps and have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Ampeg SVT-CL
    Sunn 300T
    Traynor YBA-3 Custom Special
    Fender Super Bassman

What does talkbass think? I'm open to suggestions for other amps too. It's tax return season, which means new gear.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

All those are pretty strong for studio use. How about a middle road like the re-issue Ampeg V4-B or the new 100 watt Bassman (includes a 25 watt step down).

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

There's an insane variety of amps that could be eligible candidates for what you are describing. First off, what type of tone do you want? What type of music do you play? How loud do you want to be?

But mainly, I recommend purchasing off the TB classifieds. You'll get some great deals there.

4. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

I tried a vintage v4-b, it was a 70 something. It wasn't loud enough. It might have had some issues but when I tried it at rehearsal it didn't make the team.

I want the low end subs but I need the high end to cut through as well. Some of our songs are structured around the bass pattern and melody.

We're a punk style band. Our influences are stuff like nirvana and the Jesus lizard. Other 90s garage/noise punk bands. But we're relatively young so we also like a lot of hardcore and metal from the last 10 years too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I used my SVT-II the first time outside of the house tonight. Wow, that thing sounds good. It Drives the svt 810e really well. They are normally cheaper the the SVT cl. Mine is an older non pro version.

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I use a peavey vb-2 head through my ampeg 810, you can get a really big variety of sounds out of it. Its a jack of all trades and very versatile. 225 watts, but it seems fairly conservative considering its 6 EL34s.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    The CL or Traynor get my vote. The Traynor breaks-up pretty early.

9. catgut

catgut

I'd rather have a SVT-2 than a brand new SVT-CL. Cheaper (used) and more flexible. I played a new SVT-VR right next to an SVT-CL through new 8x10. The VR was better but the SVT-2 in a 80's/ 90's vintage bests both of them to my ears. Traynor apparently voiced a preamp Shellac and Jesus lizard used on some of their stuff along with a moderately set small box Rat. So the Traynor might be your jam. Good luck.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/a...ass-tone-tronographic-rusty-box-pedal-375523/

10. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

My vote is for the cl. It's kinda big for studio but by dropping the master , it can be set just about anywhere needed for what ever volume you need. It is not perfect for recording however as the fan is a bit noisy at startup. (It'll quiet down in a few minutes but it still noticeable in a really quiet environment.) Of course you can stick it in another room and completely solve this minor problem. As for live performance , IMO there's nothing better.If being super loud is not required , you might want to look into the V4-B. It pushes really well and dosen't register quite as high on the Richter scale. While both amps are quite versitile and can be set for a variety of tones , they both will always to some degree have that "Ampeg sound." I happen to like it .... some don't but if that's the sound you're looking for , nothing else is exactly like it.

11. Jim C

Jim C

A CL is what I think would best suit you plus when bought used and smart, they typically are blue chip stocks. +1 to cabinet in another room or iso booth for recording assuming you want volume / grind.

12. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

When we did re-amping for our latest EP we used the traynor through an ampeg 610. First time I ever heard the amp and I loved it. I'm leaning towards that one the most, but I wanted to keep my options open and gather some more opinions.

Suppose I'll take my pedal board in somewhere and mess around on a CL. I've never played one but they seem to be pretty standard and sound good.

I wish I could afford a boutique amp. My favorite bass player plays a Verellen Meatsmoke and it sounds so good.