Amp sounds clean with guitar but distorts with bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sjeverett, Feb 10, 2014.

1. sjeverett

sjeverett

I have a peavy tnt 115. About a year ago it was distoring when i played my bass through it. I swapped speakers with my sons amp and it was fine. I found some pinholes in the surround and filled them with nail polish. It sounded good until today. It started distorting again. I checked with my guitar and its nice and clean but with bass its distorted. Dont have my sons amp to swap the speakers. Could it be that the guitar doesnt vibrate the speaker enough to distort the speaker? I havent ruled out dirty pots on my bass but wouldnt they make a scratchy sound? Thanks for any advice. Id just hate to order a replacement basket and still have the problem.
  2. JHAz

JHAz

IIRC, to make the same SPL, each octave deeper requires four times the excursion from the speaker.

You'd want to hear the amp through known good speakers to be sure it's not distortion developing becuase of a problem with the amp . .
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Bass makes the speaker move back and forth....a lot. Guitar does not.

Could be your earlier repairs are letting loose/tearing further, or more of the original adhesives coming apart at the seams. The problem would show itself with a bass a lot more than with a guitar.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Nail varnish dried solid. For a surround it needs to be flexible. You're yet another member who has not filled out his profile properly so we don't know where in the world you reside. If you have a speaker repair guy in your area you could have the surround replaced.

Swapping out drivers from one amp to another could have caused your problem as the driver NEEDS to be compatible with it's enclosure.
  5. sjeverett

sjeverett

Thanks guys. I live in the center of TX which is quite literally the middle of nowhere. Nearest speaker repair would be san antonio or austin which are 160 and 120 miles away respectively. I may try the music shop down the street but really he's so overpriced its ridiculous. Amazon is probably my best bet for a replacement basket.