Amp suggestions for Baer ML112s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DLM, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DLM

DLM

Hey, all.

I currently run either a Markbass F500 or SD1200 with one or two Baer ML-112s. Recognizing that the mid-driver Baer cabs are more rock-oriented, I still do play quite a bit of contemporary jazz with slap and need to make the sound coming out of the Baers as “modern” as possible for that genre of music. I could buy a tweetered cab but do not want to go that route since I love the Baers to death.

What I like about the Markbass amps are their semi-parametric EQ capability to dial out the “gank” area as well as their treble affecting the very high 10k region, which helps maximize as much as possible the treble extension coming from the Baer’s mid-driver range of 6k or so. So while I'm not unhappy with the SD1200, I’d like to consider a different amp and wanted to see what you would suggest to replace it.

I&#8217;d like something that: 1) puts out more power than the Markbass F500; 2) has a different tonal character than the Markbass SD1200; 3) provides a great slap tone when paired with my Baer cabs; 4) <=$1,000. If any amp suggested does not have parametric EQ, I would want to make sure those fixed EQ points are a good match with the Baers.

Lastly, I wonder if I'm asking too much for suggestions for a dual-purpose amp that also adds some "grind" when I do play rock. Sometimes, I feel my Markbass amps are a little too "character-less" for rock.

FWIW, I play a Bart-equipped Lakland 55-02 for the smooth jazz stuff and a jazz-style &#8220;A&#8221; bass and '76 P-bass for rock & worship. All have nickel rounds.

Thanks and I look forward to suggestions.
  2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Writer - Bass Musician Magazine
    I smell a puma 900.. fits all the criteria mentioned above, and supposedly pairs beautifully with the Baer's.
  3. DLM

DLM

Thanks for that suggestion. However, I just edited my post to see if there are any suggestions for amps that would also do well for rock. I'm wondering if the Puma might be a little to crystalline for that genre and somewhat redundant to my Markbass amps?
  4. DLM

DLM

Hmmm...I'm wondering if one of the GK MB800 heads would be a good dual-purpose option with the Baer cabs?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

Shuttle Max 9.2.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Your Markbass F500 would be almost impossible to beat for that cab and the tone you are looking for. Just a smidge of VPF (maybe 9 o'clock) will give you the response you are looking for (i.e., it will extend the low end a bit, bring out more of the upper range of that wonderful mid driver, and reduce the ratio of mid midrange versus lows and highs.

The semi-parametric upper mid control, set to around 1K is also perfect for reducing that touch of upper midrange brightness for some tone goals (as will the fixed upper mid control of your SD head, that is centered around 800hz... close enough.

In this case, no reason to spend any more money for that tone goal. If you want the F500 tone with more power, the Puma900 would get you there for sure. For more grind and grunt, the GKMB800 is pretty darn impressive, and has similar tone controls as the Markbass front end, allowing you to nicely control the upper midrange.
  8. DLM

DLM

While this amp would give me great EQ control and power, I prefer a smaller amp. Otherwise, good suggestion, though. Thanks!
  9. DLM

DLM

Thanks for your input, as well.

Yes, I'd like something with more power that is tonally different than the F500 (which I love) in order to have options.

While my impression of the GKMB800 is an amp that would have good grunt and grind for rock, would it pair up with the Baer for a somewhat modern slap tone for my contemporary jazz gigs?

And what about the MB Fusion 800...would that be a good option as a dual-purpose amp?
  10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Writer - Bass Musician Magazine
    my suggestion for the puma had alot to do with the voicing of the upper mid and treble control which I find preferable for modern slap tone (not to say how it pairs with the Baer in that regard). the high control is voiced quite high in the "air" realm, and a little cut in the upper mids cleans up the gank quite nicely, with my setup anyways. That said, if I didnt have the puma, I'd be searching hard for an F500, FWIW.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Find out when that new Carvin B1000 amp is coming out. The sound of it (on Youtube) was awesome and the power-per-dollar factor will leave others in the dust.

:bassist:
  12. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

+1 Puma 900
  13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    ^^^ this

Eq points are perfect, taste knob is a one-stop-shop for going from lean and mean to warm and fat. Plenty of power.
  14. DLM

DLM

Can the Puma 900 deliver grind and grunt for rock?

If the Puma 900 is a, generally, more powerful Markbass F500, then I think I would prefer something with a different tonal profile, which led me to consider the GKMB800 or MBF800.

Thoughts?
  15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Get a pedal. Puma can get some edge but it isn't an SVT or a TH. Depends what you're looking for.
  16. DLM

DLM

So, I've come to the point where I want to move towards a GK MB800 or MBFusion 800 with my Baer cabs, based on assumed tone profile, price point and size.

Can anyone who's played this combo provide any commentary on what to expect tonally from a modern slap to fingerstyle rock perspective?
  17. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use either the MBF800 or MBF500 pretty interchangeably with 2xML112.
    The 800 has more clean headroom, the 500 can be "pushed" earlier.
    I mostly play a Sadwosky MV5JJ; for me, the Baer cabs are pretty much equally good at all kinds of music.
    I surely wouldn't say the mid driver "biases them towards rock tone" as they go plenty high to delivery very creditable slap tone.
    They do deliver "overdriven rock tones" better than cabs with horns, but I surely wouldn't limit them to that.
    great all around cab.
  18. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you're price range is, but I feel that Carvin has been coming out with a lot of cool stuff lately especially in bass cabs. In particular, I've been interested in their BRX 15.3... seems like a good combination to me. I really like that the Carvins are USA made, but still at a reasonable price point. Their resale value is terrible, but I feel that Carvin has always been a "player" company and not a "collector" company. Another cab I would look into would be the Genz Benz Uber 1288T-UQ.
  19. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    GK are all US made.
    I've had 3 models of Carvin. Two of the same model actually failed mechanically, the others failed to perform well enough to be gig worthy
    I won't consider their bass amps anymore. YMMV I guess.
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I would suggest to the OP to ignore these comments about Carvin's because they do not accurately depict the kind of amps they are putting out these days. Nothing against GK, I like their amps, but my BX1200 blows the doors off my GK700RBII in power, sound and features (same price) while the B2000 has been described here at TB by some as "too much amp" for small to medium size gigs and killer for large gigs. Do a search on those who own the amp.

Also, Refer to issue number 2 from Bass Gear Magazine to get full gigging report and technical reviews of the B1500. TomB says it's "durable and built with high quality parts" and he's gigged with it under plenty of "ugly situations". It tested out at 1141 watts at 4 ohms and 1699 watts at 2 ohms for the cost of a 500 watt GK. You can also do a search on Bassplayer's review of my BX1200, it is GLOWING. It has enough clean power on tap to shred all but the most expensive cabs. It is very "gig worthy".

There's also Youtube vid of the new B1000 and quite frankly, the tone sounds like what the OP is looking for. Don't like it, send it back, but I'll bet the OP likes it and will pay for return shipping if he doesn't.

:bassist:
  21. Chef

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Jeff:
    yeah, the trial period is nice. I've used it to get my money back twice.

On the other hand the SB4000 and SB5000 basses I've played totally killed it. Great stuff.