Amp with Mesa PH410?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Anthbass, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

I put nearly all my gear in storage recently, due to my traveling research gig. I recently rented a PH410 to use for jamming when I'm camped out, and was wondering what amps folks are finding to be a good match for this cab (I have a GBE 750 that I could have shipped out to me, if necessary)?

Trying the cab in store, it sounds DARK, so I reckon a flatter or more neutral sounding head would be a good match. Musically, I don't mind a bit of dirty in my sound, but am not into big, flubby low end.

So, recommendations?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I reckon a Mesa Carbine M9 would do very well for you... :smug:

MM

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

The tweeter must have been turned way down if this cab sounded dark. "Flubby low end" does not describe its sound IMO.

4. Anthbass

Anthbass

I own a PH212, and to me, Mesa sounds dark, no matter the tweeter position (a good thing for aggressive music, I find). I have been playing (exclusively) a Baer ML112 for the past year or so, and by comparison, my newly rented PH410 is pretty wooly down low. Perhaps this is simply tonal difference between the two cabs? At any rate, what amp are you using with your Mesa cabs?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RCCollins

I use a Mesa Buster (moderin sounding tube amp) with one or two PH115s, and I have to lower the tweeter to 1/4, roll off a lot of high end and cut high mids to get it to sound as dark as I like - and the lows sound pretty darn tight to me. Never played the Buster through a PH410 but IME those cabs are middier than the 15s.

It sounds like we have different tonal preferences, but I gotta ask, if the PH212/410 sounds flabby to you, what cabs are you comparing it to?

7. Anthbass

Anthbass

Mostly the Baer, which is in a different tonal universe than the Mesa stuff. I think I'll have my Genz sent out to me, as it plays well with my PH212. I also like MM's suggestion, but I can't afford an M9, currently.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Probably nothing better than a 400/400+ through one of those. For me that's the ultimate rig (with a BDDI blended in) for rock/metal.

If you find it to be dark, I'd hit it with a bright tone. These are voiced with an expansive kind of low end (notice how it's cube shaped with a ton of internal volume... lows) and can bring out your low mids better than any other cab out there IMO. Dial both back a bit and it'll probably sound more normal.

I'd check tweeter settings too. The PH can get insanely detailed on the high end if you want it to. I love the tweeter situation on PH cabs, it can change your tone in quite a few ways and is very smooth. I was actually playing a show recently and was hearing it bright and clear when the bass was solo'd, I thought I was too bright. The moment vocals came in, the highs just vanished and blended in perfectly with the mix.

9. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

The new warwick 600 head comes to mind...

10. RCCollins

Particularly if it's got the adjustable crossover!