Amp Woes

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by George Mann, Jan 9, 2013.

1. George Mann

George Mann

Well, my Hartke HA2000 has arrived. The good news is I like it's tone. The bad news is it has a very loud fan, and what appears to be a healthy ground-loop hum at the output.

This model has 2 1/4-inch speaker outputs, and they show signs of corrosion. I can't be sure that this is the only source of the hum (have no cleaning supplies currently).

Has anyone else had similar problems?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fans are replaceable but you have to get one that is equal to or better than what the fan in it puts out. The hum could be anything, though, and it isn't necessarily always in your amp. Could be something weird in your house. But I'd say clean it with Deoxit, especially the effects loop jacks, and can't remember if there's a tube in it or not but if there is, try replacing it. Beyond that, try to eliminate other causes that could be coming from your home or your bass. What kind of bass, anyway? Single coils or humbuckers?
  3. George Mann

George Mann

It has a tube, and it tests good so far. I have both single-coils and humbuckers in various basses.

The hum varies when I play with the output.
  4. George Mann

George Mann

Who ever had this amp before me was a complete numbskull!

The amp board wasn't properly grounded as a result of the former owner playing "operation" with it.

While it is fixed, and sounding good, I think it could use a better grounding scheme.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it's fixed and sounding good, that's all that matters, no?
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Please don't turn into the former owner it works sounds good done.
  8. George Mann

George Mann

I see where you are going with this. But with my engineering background, I am qualified to do the work.:smug: