ampeg 1971 810 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jlagross, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jlagross

jlagross

hey all!
    I have been a fan of this forum for some time and finally decided to post a few questions i have.
    Ive done my searching and havent been able to find the answers unfortunately so anything is helpful!

Background -
    -received two ampeg 1971 flatbacks with CTS speakers (and a few replacements) dated by cts serial 7136 and 7133
    -tested all speakers, 10 CTS's worked , 1 replacement (not sure of brand ) worked.
    -i put all the 71 cts speakers in one cab with original wiring, ---original grill fabric good
    -tolex missing in some spots, and wood filler had been added by previous owner to attempt to repair some spots of the outerwood - no holes through cab though.
    -original dolly and hardware (funky shaped screw head)
    - still has original foam on the inside!

my plan is to fill the empty cab with newer bass speakers and have a kick ass cab with original ampeg logos and hardware, new wiring and re tolex , plus the ability to say i did it myself. Plus will be able to play out with it.

My question is what to do with the 1971 cab,
    (I would love to refurb it fully since its 90% all original and really only needs some minimal wire work and tolex ) but time and money isnt really available.

So if i were to sell it as it sits (pictures to come) what is an appropriate asking price , should i sell the other 2 cts and 1 replacement speakers with it or use them in my new cab?

if i sold it it will fund the other cab build, but if i cant get much for it i will probably keep it since i enjoy the vintage - ness of it. being 32 ohm speakers, when using my peavy mark VIII head, i didnt get volume out of the cab, but the punch and clarity was amazing and would make a phenomenal recording cab.

Any input is much appreciated and i thank you for the time reading this!

Thanks
    Jason
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's true you can't push the CTS's like the newer ones. And we're not allowed to quote price estimates for those wishing to sell unless they have supporting memberships. But don't get your hopes up too big. The cabs, despite being great sounding, just plain don't have a whole lot of resale.
  3. jlagross

jlagross

Thanks ! That basically summarizes what I was looking for. Looks like I will be keeping the cab then!
    Are the other cts's worth throwing in with newer 32 ohm speakers? Or keeping as spares?

Thanks
    Jason
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I might sell them or keep them as spares, but your cab will always be limited in power handling by them if you use them. So no, I wouldn't use them with new speakers.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I'd either keep the other CTS speakers as spares or sell them separately. They go for a decent price to people looking to restore their original cabs. Your best bet for the other cab is to get a full set of matching speakers. There are quite a few options, depends on how much you want to spend. I have the eminence B810s in my 72 cab now and they're similar to but not the same as the original CTS, more bottom and not as much sweetness on the top, but otherwise pretty close. Weber has some that are supposed to be very close approximations, but they're pricey. I think fliptops sells a custom spec neo version that works well in the 8x10. There's also the Jensen mod speakers or OEM ampeg replacements from a few outlets like OC speaker.