AMPEG 410 HLF Issue

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JLalaSVT, Jan 17, 2014.

1. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Disclosures:
    Active Musician
    I have recently picked up a used (American) 410 HLF cab, I run an SVT3 PRO. Have for years, Seemed to be in relatively great shape when I bought it. Played fine, Lately I have noticed that on any string, Once I have gotten past the 9th fret it does not really produce a note anymore? It just goes to almost a very deep dry sounding blown speaker no crackling or with no clarity to it, I'm sure there are better ways of describing this. But It sounds fantastic on any fret less than 9th. Doesn't make any sense to me, The one thing I have noticed since I plugged it in on my head at home is that the clipping/OR DB Peak like seems to come on prematurely opposed to my other cabs? Running 4ohms to 4ohms. my gain is usually about 9-12 o'clock and my main about 10-12 o'clock. everything is about 12 o'clock. Mids slightly scooped on the graph. Guitar is only 2 months old and has great intonation.. I have played with the EQ all over the place and seems to be doing it no matter what setting.. My only guess is drivers or the head itself, I haven't had it biased and re tubed in about 2 years, Currently running JJ'S

2. headband

headband Supporting Member

Just a few comments - first, your SVT3 Pro does not have a tube output stage and does not need to be biased. Preamp tubes can run for many years without issue, so I don't think you have any problems there after 2 years.
    Now a few things to check. Are you sure that your speaker cable is in good shape? No shorts, no dead spots?
    Have you used the head with different cabs? Is the problem still there?/

You could have a horn/crossover problem. I suggest opening the cabinet and checking the speakers and horn for DC resistance.
    Good luck

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually the 3 Pro that has mosfets that require occasional biasing, but it's rare that it needs it, and it doesn't have a tube power section but it has tube drivers for the power section. Could be a tube that responds poorly to higher on the neck notes since they tend to be more bassy than others. However, I'm not at all sure that's the problem, and it's a very weird problem to have, quite frankly. I'll bump it in case anyone has any ideas, but I'd get someone near you to take a look at it who knows more about it than you do.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

Do a bunch of trouble shooting first. Eliminate the cheap, easy problems first. Never change more than one thing at a time while troubleshooting.

1. cables.

2. your bass on a different system/different bass on yours

3. your amp on a different cab

4. your cab with a different amp.

5. The power/electrical supply where you are?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mcnach

mcnach

So you're saying that an E on the 12th fret, E string, sounds bad, but the same E played on the 7th fret of the A string sounds ok, and the same E on the 2nd fret of the D string also sounds ok?

All notes on all strings beyond 9th fret sound bad?

I may have misunderstood, but if I haven't and that's what you're saying, are you sure it's not your bass?