Ampeg 610hlf crossover+tweeter removal or EQ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by blujosh, Sep 29, 2013.

1. blujosh

blujosh

i know a similar topic has come up before, but didn't want to resurrect a 6 year old thread to continue it...

so here goes:

since i don't use the tweeter on my 610hlf and know that it is prone to burning up if the L-pad is turned down all the time (i use a fair amount of octave-up fuzz which introduces more high frequencies), i'm interested in disconnecting it (and the crossover) if necessary. there have been a couple threads on here suggesting how to do so in the past, but i'm wondering if i can avoid doing so by just eq'ing out those high frequencies with a graphic eq or low-pass filter in the signal path (before reaching my power amp and cab), thereby keeping the frequencies above the crossover point in the cab from ever reaching the built-in crossover and tweeter.

any opinions on that?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've tried the EQ route and I don't like it as much as disconnecting the tweeter. But modern cabs aren't like cabs of old. They can actually take the tweet being turned off nowadays.

3. blujosh

blujosh

is the tweeter or crossover design different these days?

also, does anyone know what the crossover frequency is for the built in crossover in the 610hlf?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pretty sure it's 4k, and the way it was explained to me (though I could be wrong or butcher the explanation since I'm not a tech) is that they use a high pass filter set for 4k instead of an actual crossover so disconnecting it isn't really necessary.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, electronic EQ is a very different thing from physically disconnecting a component.

it would probably be easy to disconnect the horn circuit without affecting the rest of the speakers, since like most production bass cabs it likely runs the speakers full-range, just adding the horn "on top".

it could be as easy as pulling a connector clip or two off of the inside of the jackplate (then taping them up so they don't touch anything).