1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg 610HLF Muddiness

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pshep68, May 1, 2013.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Anyone have any suggestions on how to control/deal with the muddiness of the Ampeg 610HLF?
  2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

What amp/bass/effects and so on are you using? My gut reaction is to lower the bass content between 30hz and 150hz. Muddiness can also be in the 150-300hz range. A little more insight on your setup and I think we can help you.
  3. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

I have to say, that is one cab that, for me, is not a muddy sounding cab. We need more information from you.

What amp, bass, pedals and settings are you using?

Out of a lot of the Ampeg cabs, the 610 is probably one of the more articulate cabs I have played.
  4. pshep68

pshep68

I am using an ampeg SVT AV head and Fender jazz with s-1 switching. No effects.

Gain 12 - Bass 12 - Mid 12 - Treble 12 - Mid-Selector Switch 4 position and the master about 10.

Only gigged it once with the above settings ... I did drop the bass and gain back and increase the treble and mids ... However, at the end of the gig I did realize that my S-1 Switching on my Fender Jazz was engaged. I'll make sure it's not engaged next time.
  5. pshep68

pshep68

Where on the SVT AV's bass knob is between 30hz and 150hz. What numbers? Thank you.
  6. Daywalker

Daywalker

THIS!

My first thought was what are your bass and amp settings? I use a SVT-7PRO with mine and it's always tight, punchy, like an 810E but with slightly more low end response. It's my favorite Ampeg cab as well...
  7. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

One mans mud is another mans chocolate pudding....
  8. pshep68

pshep68

9. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

I've got one and had a similar problem. In my case, the tweeter wiring had become damaged somehow. Had it fixed, and it's back to sounding great. Don't know if that helps, but it might be a start.
  10. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

I have one and it sounds fantastic with a SVT-CL , tight and punchy with no mud. EQ set not far from yours , but I run the mid selector on 1 or 3. Look in the ports at the bottom and see if the cardboard tube have fallen off the port flanges. All three fell off on mine and were rolling around in the bottom of the cabinet. Sounded like absolute crap. I had to remove the flanges and fish the tubes out through the holes. Glued them to the flanges with silicone and presto , back to sounding awesome.
  11. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

I owned one of these for a few years. Great cab. For me, once i figured out that you really need to be about 10-15 feet away from this cab to REALLY hear whats going on, i was able to dial in the EQ better. Anywhere within like 6 feet of it i heard mostly bottom end.
  12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

There is a chance that your cabinet is missing the tubes altogether. According to some of our Ampeg sources, the current Asian cabinets do not have them. I checked my SVT-410HLF (that I bought new) and it did not have them. Added the tubes myself and the cab sounds noticably more even and articulate in the lows. No "mud".
  13. pshep68

pshep68

Sorry for my ignorance, but what/where are these tubes?
  14. randyg

randyg Supporting Member

Shine a flashlight through the grill at the bottom of the cab. You will see three plastic flanges attached with screws. Each flange should have a cardboard tube about seven inches long attached to the back of it. These tubes tune the cabinet so it will sound right. If they have fallen off you will have to pop off the grille and take out the flanges to reattach the tubes.
  15. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Did you have that problem even with the tweeter off? It's off topic, but I'm having a similar problem with a different amp. The tweeter crackles and it sounds really muddy even with the tweeter off.
  16. pshep68

pshep68

I am also getting a buzzing from the cab. I have tried two different heads, switched out speakon and instrument cables and the buzz is still there.
  17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Yeah, that cab is alittle muddy. Add some fiberglass insulation to the inside of the cab. That cab is ported and has 3 seperate chambers. Cut 3 pieces of insulation that are the right dimensions to cover the sides and back of each chamber and see how that sounds. Should have less low end woofer and a clearer midrange. If you lose too much low end, make the insulation thinner. You shouldn't even need to staple it down. Cut it just alittle bigger than you need and friction will hold it in place.
  18. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

The SVT-410HLF cone drivers come in two "flavors"; the older, US made cabinets have a darker sounding ("muddy") character while the newer, Asian made cabinets are loaded with a brighter 10" driver. These newer ones do not sound much "muddier" than any "regular" bass speakers while still going deeper and louder than most of them. I suspect the 610 could have a similar "generation 1" vs "generation 2". The older ones will need a good bit of additional mid boost to get "flat".
  19. pshep68

pshep68

Would some type of foam insulation do the same trick ... the fiberglass stuff is messy to deal with.
  20. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    Doss it have any batting now? The white 'itchless' insulation at Lowes works well and isn't as harsh to deal with...or if you want to avoid any of that kind of stuff, you might consider a foam 'mattress topper.' You can get that stuff at Hobby Lobby (I think), Jo-Anns Fabrics, and I believe Walmart