Ampeg 610HLF Speaker Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by enjoyfebruary, Apr 3, 2014.

1. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

Ok so I already know that the Ampeg 610HLF uses 6ohm drivers so lets get that out of the way.

Anyway, the two top speakers in my 610hlf seem to have been blown. If I hit and hold a note, it starts fine but then there is a loud scratchy sound similar to someone scraping something across a mic windscreen. Both speakers jump in tandem with the noise. I took out the crossover and tweeter attempting to find the issue as I know that these do go out occasionally. Obviously that didn't solve it so I have temporarily rewired the cab into a 4x10 (without crossover) so I can keep playing shows until I figure out a solution.

So here is my question. Would there be ramifications if I replaced these two speakers with 8ohm drivers? I'm thinking no, but I just want to throw it out there. There are just so many more options in 8ohms than the 6ohm of the OEM drivers. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Dan
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's the problem with throwing random speakers in there...610hlf speakers are quite different from your typical 10"s. They have a hollowed out and elongated rear plate so they have more voice coil movement, which results in lower lows, and other speakers may or may not work well with them. They could, but it's a crapshoot.

I'd get your broken ones reconed.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You should not be using the cabinet with 4 drivers unless each pair of drivers is in a sealed compartment like the 8x10. As Jimmy posted, get your failed drivers re-coned with the correct kit from Ampeg.
  4. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

The speakers are still in there just not hooked up so no gaping holes. Do you guys have a source for getting these speakers cheaper than 89.99 a piece? The closest reputable speaker repair place is in Orange County so it's probably going to cost more to either drive there or ship them there and back.

Also are there any symptoms as to what constitutes a recone? More of just a "for knowledge sakes." These speakers float smoothly and all.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Orange County's got the best reputation in the business. Worth every penny.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the cabinet is one open space, the "dead" drivers will work like passive radiators throwing the tuning way off and probably damaging the rest of your drivers.
  8. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

Hmmmm. I guess i'll have to figure something else out then. Got a show on the 12th. Thanks for the input guys!
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well you can buy the original drivers from Ampeg. Give them a call or email.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

How did they get toasted? Why only those two?
  11. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

I have no idea. I find it odd that both of them would go out at the same time, and specifically those two. I do play with a considerable amount of distortion but I haven't had an issue in the past. So who knows.
  12. enjoyfebruary

enjoyfebruary

Well problem solved. Sold the cab to someone who didn't care about the speakers and got an SWR Goliath II for less $$ than two new speakers. Can't say I'm not happy. :)