1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ampeg 810 - can you identify

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hardtop, Jan 31, 2013.

1. hardtop

hardtop

greetings guys. been using the forum as a resource for years, but couldnt find what i was looking for on this one. i found this cab locally. i know all 8x10s are not created equal. this logo seems unique to me in that the font isnt stylized/italicized. can someone narrow me in to a year and let me know if its desirable or not (osb,straight back, late vs early slm or loud)

Attached Files:

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

3. zachoff

zachoff

I can tell you that if the speaker dust caps aren't recessed then it's not a 70s cab. Also can tell an early cab by the fact that there's just 1 1/4" jack on the back. I'm not good enough to guess the era by the logo, alone.

4. hardtop

hardtop

i just didnt know how long or in what eras that logo was used. thats all the info i have at the moment. one other picture which is a full frontal of the cab. i realize it was a shot in the dark.
    i think its an early 90s cab just based on context clues from the seller, but was just hoping to get as much info together before i went to check it out/buy it.

zachoff, is your band still playing? i remember seeing you guys a few time in the Denver area.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hardtop

hardtop

well i bought this cab this weekend. heres some more info:

its a plywood cab.
    it has one 1/4" input on the back.
    it does have a towel bar
    the grill cloth is silver
    ill try to get some number and pics this afternoon.

any guesses what i have here?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  8. zachoff

zachoff

Nah, Geoff (our drummer) moved to Phoenix after that Love Thy Chopper show & we couldn't find a replacement. Sucks. I dug playing in that band. I'm playing in a new band now but it's more punk rock than metal. The other guys in the band used to be The Other Russia but we're writing all new music and are called First World Problems. Probably start playing shows this summer! Which band are you in?

9. hardtop

hardtop

pics of the 810 cab

Attached Files:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mid to late 70's cab. Elkhart, IN is the clue, as that was the location of Selmer/Magnavox back in the 70's. For a more exact date, you can pull a speaker and date it using the codes:

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

But definitely mid-late 70's.

11. hardtop

hardtop

Thanks Jimmy! That helps a lot. Ive done some reading here and it seems as if the consensus is that this is an alright era for these amps? would you agree? it sounded okay in my brief trial run before purchasing, but i havent put it through its paces... i guess ill find out soon enough what i think of it. tolex is beat up and its scuffed up pretty good, but quite solid and the speakers look and sound good. i paid 400 for it.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    It's a GREAT era for those cabs, but remember that they don't take nearly as much power as the ones made since the 90's, so don't take an SVT and crank it all the way up.

13. hardtop

hardtop

holy crap, good to know. the band i just started with plays pretty loud. ive never had my svt rolled way up with my previous cab(s) but ill be sure to keep it in mind.

14. zachoff

zachoff

I have one of those cabs from the same era. It'll be plenty loud but only rated at 400W.