1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg 810 Flatback Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Dec 6, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

Going to check one out tomorrow.

What are the dimensions of these?

What's the weight compared to a modern SVT?

Very excited, always wanted one.

Looking to load it with 8 Eminence B810 drivers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wish I could answer you about dimensions, but the weight seems comparable.

3. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

maybe this is a dumb question, but would you mind explaining the thought process about changing the drivers please?

I thought that one of the desirable features of the flatbacks was that their lower wattage speakers would break up a little easier giving you some nice vintage overdriven sounds. Sort of why the classic ampeg setup was an SVT head and two 810s- cuz the old flatback 810s had lower wattage speakers, so you'd want distribute that 300 watts over 16 speakers. Where as the more modern 810s can handle a lot more so a single 810 is plenty for an SVT.

Also, wouldn't you want to put the B810s in a cab that was more "tuned" to handle them (i.e. a more modern 810)?

I'm not making these points to shoot down your plan- i'm truly curious. I know i replaced some drivers in an old cab (not ampeg) years ago. They were good speakers and i think it was a soundly constructed cab, but man it sounded terrible cuz the speakers just weren't right for the cab. So are the B810s suited for the flat backs? does it matter?

and good luck with it too. I know i sound like a negative Nelly, but i really do want it to work for you. I'm just trying to learn.
    Rock on.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The B810 is Eminence's own choice to put in SVT cabs. I've never used them so I can't comment on performance. But yeah, the CTS's in flatbacks, while not being very high power handling, sound awesome, and not just because they can be pushed, but because they have great tone that just plain works. The B810's should work in any 810 Ampeg cab, though, even the flatback.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gricko

gricko