Ampeg 810e vs tc RS cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by zaviere, Jan 29, 2013.

1. zaviere

zaviere

so what do you guys think? I've currently got a tc electronic rs210 cab. No complaints. Very deep and full sounding. Never had issues with volume except maybe too much volume sometimes. But I'm thinking of joining a rock band = louder band.

So I'm torn between a really good deal on a rs212 to stack my 210 on top of. Or save up a bit more and go for the ampeg 810e.

I've searched for something on this subject but came up short.

BTW I'm currently using a gk mb200 and never really even had to turn it up past noon. but then again we dont really play large venues. and stage volume is usually pretty controlled. Not usually so with rock bands. I also have an ampeg pf350 at my disposal.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For "that sound" the pf-350 and sealed ampeg cab will get you much closer than your gk and TC cabs. Just depends on what you want. Personally I wouldn't relish moving the 810.

Do you like the sound of your pf-350 or mb200 with your current cab? If so I would pick up a second rs210, and make a killer little vertical stack.
  3. zaviere

zaviere

yeah well problem is I've never tried an ampeg amp thru a 810 cab. Only thing I can go on is my ampeg svx modeling software. I love the way the svt-cl and 810 modeling sounds. I DO love how my gk and rs cab sound too though. Very room filling.

And yeah I dunno about moving that 810. Though I've read that its actually quite easy due to the wheels and handle. Just tilt and push. never any lifting. I do drive a vw gti though :help: . But I've also seen people able to fit the 810 into these cars so I know its possible.
  4. zaviere

zaviere

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Moving the 810 isn't as bad as it's made out to be. I'd much rather move it than a couple 410s. My opinion is ditch the GK and get an Ampeg to go along with the new 810, but my opinion is just that. MY opinion.

I think it is possible, maybe even probable, that you will end up needing more than a couple 210s and if you invest in another cab, it is unlikely you will recoup that money when you sell it to fund something bigger. Again, that's my opinion. I'm sure lots of folks will disagree with me.
  7. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I would agree that the form factor of the 810 makes it pretty easy to move, and you can usually tilt and slide to avoid lifting. If you have to deal with stairs, that's another story.
    However, my complaint with the 810e is the lack of bottom end. The 410HLF has far more bottom if you want to stay Ampeg.
  8. zachoff

zachoff

Man, TC is all the rage now, huh? Guess I should go test drive something... Maybe.
  9. zaviere

zaviere

Yeah I heard the 410hlf has way more bottom due to the ports. But it's also a lot more cumbersome to move according to the research I've done. Since you do actually have to lift it. Are we talking considerable low end loss on the 810? I guess I should really try to find one to test drive huh? Anybody in San Antonio with an 810? Lol :/
  10. zachoff

zachoff

Be careful with the 410HLF. Most rock doesn't require a ton of lows... You'll sound and cut through better with low mids and mids.

The 810 isn't that tough to move unless you have to lift it up into stuff like truck beds or hatchbacks or something. If one of the other guys in the band won't help you with a boost then you need to find a new band. Hah. It's not like it requires a ton of work, anyway. My wife can help w/ mine when I need it but I can usually get my 810 in my hatch without any help and can for sure lift it 3' or so up onto a stage.
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Trust me, there are better options for your Peavey tube head than TC stuff.
  12. guymanndude1

guymanndude1 Supporting Member

The bass reflex action keeps back up pressure on the speakers, also the cab is separated into 4 pairs. If you want to see the difference of what that sounds like listen to single headed drum kit, and double headed toms. The ports allow for better lows, but that air movement is only close to the cab, the sealed cab overcomes some of the proximity effect of bass by keeping the lows focused.
    A lot of guys make a big deal about deep lows, in all of my years of being on stage, all I can speak of are my experiences, super low bass is just more stage rumble and muddled the perception of sound. Live audio is different from studio, it just is, and even with a low B string, most of the work is being done is really above the fundamental of 35Hz, and works well with the SVT 810E cab.
  13. zaviere

zaviere

thanks for all the input guys. Its really helped me make a decision and I think I'm gonna go with the 810. Ill keep the 210 for smaller gigs and haul the big boy when I jam out with my hard rock friends.