Ampeg AEB Scroll Bass template.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by phat5, Jan 7, 2011.

1. phat5

phat5 On the verge of a nervous breakthrough Supporting Member

Anyone know where I could find an actual size template/drawing for a Scroll Bass?

2. Blind Dog

Blind Dog

I am working on my first scroll bass build... working on a second one at the same time so maybe 2 if it goes well.
    I have a build thread on another forum... probably should have posted it on TB instead. I bought an ampeg AMB body and made some MDF templates from it using a router.

Is it OK to put a link to the build in another forum here or should I start a build thread here?

Thanks,
    Mike

3. phat5

I'd start the build thread here. Really looking forward to seeing your work!

4. danecho283

danecho283

Hey there did you end up posting a build thread here, or where can i find the link to your other post. thanks for all the info.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phat5

Just to let you guys know, I have been in contact with Bruce Johnson. Bruce was kind enough to send me some templates for and very modest fee....and lots of excellent advice; he's not secretive and is willing to steer one in the right direction.

7. danecho283

danecho283

Where are you at now with your bass? Would you be willing to share some of your new found info? Thanks.

8. phat5

Once again life gets in the way................. my bass is sitting in pieces awaiting finish work and assembly.

9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    That seems to be the way it is with Scroll Bass projects.....they take forever to finish! (As my customers know......)

Sadly, of the various Ampeg-like Scroll Bass projects that I've watched guys work on here on this forum, I can only think of one that's been completed. It's easy to bog down on any bass building project, and a Scroll Bass adds a lot of extra problems to figure out. Not unsolvable, but more work.

Danecho, I got your e-mail (I assume that was you asking about templates?), but I haven't gotten around to answering you yet. I'm generally willing to help with info and templates, as long as you are a hobbyist builder, wanting to try a one-off Scroll Bass for yourself.

10. danecho283

danecho283

Bruce and phat5, I really appreciate your responses. Bruce, I will send you an email at the address I found in one of the other threads. Thanks for the info.

11. phat5

All I really have left to do is send the pick guard to the engravers; using the name of my home town " APTOS" in Ampeg script. Also because it's where I first saw Mike Been play for the first time. Then wire it up and setup.......3 more hrs of labor Bruce.