Ampeg Amps Discontinued??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pshep68, Nov 14, 2012.

1. pshep68

pshep68

I contacted my local music store today here in Canada (a large ratail chain) to inquire as to the prices of the Ampeg 2 Pro and the Ampeg 8 Pro and I was told that both were discontinued. I hope this is not the case.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    According to Ampeg's website, they are still available. It could be that they are no longer shipping them to Canada.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

The 8-Pro seemed like overkill just about everything. JimmyM and Hodgy'll probably hook you up with more info. BTW, how did things pan out with the PN cabs? Did you do the battery test?

4. pshep68

pshep68

How exactly do I do that?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Plug in your cabs and touch a 9v battery to the positive and negative end of your speaker cable, and look at which way the speakers move. If they move opposite, they're out of phase.

As for the discontinuation of those amps, I have no idea. The 2 Pro I thought was a pretty good seller.

7. hodgy

hodgy

Disclosures:
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Yes, it's true- both are discontinued. Don't really care about the 8pro so much, but I really like the 2pro, as do so many others. If I had the chance to argue with the bosses over this one, I would have. Unfortunatly, it's a pricey piece of gear that wasn't hitting the numbers, though it's favored by several 'superstars'. Could it be that the inability of Ampeg to supply Geezer Butler with 2pros led to his defection to Hartke?

8. pshep68

pshep68

Do you mean hook up my rig ... head (plugged in & on) & both cabs connected or hook up one at a time? I use a 1/4 speaker cable not speakon right?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't plug them into the head, and yes, use a 1/4" on the end you're testing because it's easier to touch a battery to it.

Sucks about the 2 Pro, but honestly, I'd pick a CL or VR over the 2 Pro just because it looks cooler and I'm not into racks. I imagine most others did, too.

10. Alex1984

Alex1984

Don't hook it up to the head, just get a speaker cable and use the tip and sleeve to touch the terminals of the battery and observe the movement of the speaker to see if it moves in or out. Repeat on the other cab (make sure you use the same polarity on the battery). If they move in opposite directions (1 cab inward, 1 cab outward), you have a problem...

11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Well, that kind of sucks. But, at least I can now have some hope that my 2 Pro will start to appreciate some in value...

12. stiles72

stiles72

That's a shame about the 2-Pro. That was billed as their "flagship" model for quite some time.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Consider the 7-PRO. Read a lot of good things about them.

:bassist:

14. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

There are more options for all-tube heads than there were back in the 90s when the 2-pro was their flagship, so I can see why the bean counters would want to drop the model. I think that nowadays more people generally go in for aesthetic of a matching head and cab, versus a rack case and cab. Or maybe it's just that there are more options in general.

Shame to see it go.

15. Alex1984

Alex1984

Wow, it's a bit hard to believe the 2 Pro got dropped. I guess rackmounting isn't a priority when it comes to 80 pound all tube bass amps.

16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Sorry. Guess you want all tube.

17. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

hmm...fire sale on the 2PRO & 8PRO? I could only hope so.

18. pshep68

pshep68

Got the PN 210HLF up at eye level ... 1/4 speaker cable plugged in to cab and touching the opposite end of the speaker cable to a 9V battery ... can't see anything happening ... tried a second battery ... nothing ...

19. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

you touched the + and the - sides to different parts of the cable at the same time?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if nothing then you've got a bad connection inside your cab.
    you'll have to either open that up and check it yourself, or bring it to the shop.

20. pshep68

pshep68

Ahhhhh! I was doing it wrong . I was just using the tip. Just tested both and they move the same way.

21. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

You going to look for another 2Pro to have as a "spare"? :smug: