1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ampeg Amps for Recording: SVT 3-Pro vs. SVT Classic

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 1dstoner, Mar 18, 2014.

1. 1dstoner

1dstoner

Talkbass Brothers, I did a search and didn't find an answer for my question so I am posting it for posterity sake.

I am currently recording with the band and dig the Ampeg tone. I have a SVT 3 - Pro which I gig with, but have the availability to use a friends SVT Classic. I have heard the cabs do matter most for the sound which is desired but I am new to this process and would like the best possible tone. The guy doing the recording prefers to do di...but I like the cab sound augmenting the di. Do any of you have experience with either/or both of these amps? The band sound is a Pop Jazz, so think smooth chest thumping bass! Any feedback is appreciated. I know there are a lot of opinions. But over all thoughts of versatility of the amps would be great. Haters need not comment. Thanks!

2. inri222

inri222

I did a studio recording once with and SVT Classic going through an SVT 810E miked on one track and at the same time a direct signal to another track.
    The combination of both sounded real good and provided lots of versatility for mixing.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Media:
    I had a 3 Pro about 10 years ago, and did some DI recording with it, kind of a jazzy feel, and it sounded awesome. Unless you are gonna drive the amp hard enough to make it really wake up, which IMO is unlikely in a "jazz" recording situation with an SVT, I'd go DI from the 3 pro.

Or get a smaller tube head in the 30-100w range and make it sweat in an insolation booth for mid and grind, whilst still taking the DI from the 3 pro. Like borrow the guitarists amp and run it through your 210.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'll get a good sounding recording with either, but I'd take an SVT-CL any day over a 3 Pro. Even if you're running clean, I think it just sounds way better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I'm with Jimmy. That's why I just got an SVT-CL. 300 watt tube head sounds like overkill for stage volume or recording, but it use a 212AV cab, which has much less authority than an 810e, so I can crank the head a little more. For recording, I mix a mic sound with my REDDI. Come to think of it, I do that live, too.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I didn't know you got a CL, Fritz! When did you get it? Keep hearing good things about those 12" Ampeg cabs but I've yet to see them in a store down here.

8. f.c.geil

Media:
    Just last week. If you remember, the CL won the poll I had on a few weeks back, and I got a screaming deal on one from a local merchant with a big heart, so I ordered that and the 212. Awesome combo! Clean (if I don't push it too hard), loud (but not stupidly so), clear, rich, thick, full...

9. f.c.geil

Media:
    And for comparison, it is noticeably louder than an SVT-7PRO through a PF115HE, but quieter than the same head (or a PF800, PF500, SVT-IIIPRO, or even an Ashdown Spyder 550) through an 810e.

10. 1dstoner

1dstoner

Thanks for the help guys since this is a little different scenario than most recordings, so I may actually be able to try both of them throughout the process. All for the sake of science! And Auditory delight of course. :hyper:

Just so I understand you would push the gain and the cabinet as much as possible to get the awesome breakup that we all love? I really haven't messed to much with the tone because I was pretty satisfied at the initial settings. any suggestions you guys would have are much appreciated you have years on me!

If you have time to follow the link there are some older songs on here. Sadly I was not the one that recorded the songs but it gives you a good feel for the sound.

http://www.reverbnation.com/saintelouisemusic

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't know that I'd always push the head to get breakup. That all depends on the song, the sound I'm going for, and the studio's ability to take a cranked SVT. Of course I have a B-15, so I could do it at a lot quieter volume ;) but I think this is a situation you'd have to play by ear.

EDIT: You could use the gain knob to get some crank going and keep it at a lower volume. Power tube distortion sounds better but tube preamp distortion is still pretty cool, if a little buzzy by comparison.

Fritz, really cool that you took the all-tube plunge, and even cooler that you got a deal!

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Don't be tempted, if using only the DI, to unplug the speaker cabinet. It's just not a good thing to do to a tube amp.

13. 1dstoner

1dstoner

Well... Good News and Bad news. I decided to go with my 3 pro in the studio I was playing di and running to a ampeg classic 115 for some mic'd recording low volume mind you! and then the dreaded rumble started happening...It has done it a couple times before, I sent it to get it fixed they just replaced all the tubes and it worked great for awhile but I believe it is a mosfet bias issue. Is there any way to easily confirm this issue and get it fixed?