1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ampeg b-100r, is an amp power cord fixable or changeable?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Richard Sabines, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

is an amp power chord fixable or changeable? I got a sweet Ampeg b-100r, but the previous owner get rid of the grounded piece of the power cord and it makes a little noise, I guess with the normal grounded 3 piece cord it will be fine
  2. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Yes, just rewire it from the initial connections on the amp.
  3. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

looking inside of the control panel the cord is attached to various cables, I don't want to mess it up
  4. oerk

oerk

Then take it to a tech. Shouldn't be expensive. Tinkering with mains voltage can be lethal.

Doesn't have to be an amp tech, every electrician should be able to fix it.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

so it's fine up to the actual plug?

anybody with a clue about these things could snip that plug off and install a new one from the hardware store, easy peasy.
  6. LHbassist

LHbassist

You can buy a heavy duty, but cheap three prong plug at any Home Depot, Lowes, or any Ace or other hardware store. I've replaced these numerous times over the years. There's NO danger if you simply cut the old plug off, and strip back the insulation on the wires. The terminals the wires will go to are screw type. Any handyman could do it for 10 bucks, if you cannot. It is exactly the same operation for any appliance that uses a standard 110 v. plug! There is a black, white and green wire- ask someone in the store where they go on the new plug you just bought.
    Like repairing the end on a 1/4" cable, same thing. And, of course- make sure the plug is not still connected to the wall when you cut it off!

A complete new a/c cord can also be installed in the amp itself. If the cable is fine up to the plug, then it's an easy fix, as described above.
  7. anderbass

anderbass

LHbassist is right. If you carried your B100R into most any Ace hardware store and bought a replacement grounded plug, they'd prolly instal it if you asked. (for free) Most of those Ace hardware store guys will go out of their way to be helpful like that!
  8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I would like to add that you should purchase the best quality plug you can find. The "Hospital" style of plug is much better than the common rubber types.
  9. mtlbasslad

mtlbasslad Supporting Member

Sounds like you only need to replace the plug, the very best are made by Hubbell...

Personally, I found the original cord too stiff, so I replaced the entire cord with a better quality, more flexible one. Not a tough job apart from sgueezing the strain relief in & out.

Good luck!
  10. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Most replacement plugs are color coded. Black wire to the brass colored screw, white wire to the silver colored screw, and green wire to the green colored screw.