1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ampeg B-100R speaker making crackly noises - help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by steamthief, Oct 14, 2006.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Long story short, my amp's making crackly noises. Switched out cables, switched basses, switched input jacks, same crackly noises. Is my speaker blown? Should I open up the amp and investigate? Any other variables I'm leaving out? Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
  2. 62bass

62bass

If you did all that there's not much else you can do. I doubt you'll be able to see anything obvious by just looking inside. It doesn't sound like a speaker problem from what you describe. You can check all the gain and EQ controls and see if one might be stuck in a dirty spot. I've had that happen a couple times, but usually that causes a note to drop out rather than give crackling noises even if you aren't playing.
  3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

does it seem to be associated with certain loud or bassy notes or movement of the cord or movement of the bass player?
  4. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

If you can see the speaker, check for small "creases" or wrinkles in the cone. These are signs of a damaged unit, and will cause the speaker to crackle perticularilly at higer volumes. It can be fixed with epoxy reinforcment on the back of the cone but its better to replace the driver. If it crackles the same amount at quiet volumes, its probably a diry or loose potentiometer. purchase some pot cleaner(spray) and spray all the pots with the knobs removed. i think wd40 can be used in a pinch, but it stinks.
  5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

I have a B100R and when I got it the input jack was loose so I bent the center contact inside the jack to make it tighter and no more crackeling noise
  6. steamthief

steamthief

I forgot one important variable - I've just finished playing for the last 45 minutes with headphones on, twisting knobs, etc., and all of it was noise-free.

Therefore, I've got a problem with the speaker. Should I open up the box and investigate? Bring it to a tech? If I do need a new driver, should I replace it with the same or get a different one?
  7. 62bass

62bass

Check the speaker connections inside then the cone surround. Don't jump to conclusions about changing out the speaker yet. Find out where the problem is, amp of speaker connection or or speaker itself first. If you haven't been cranking the Ampeg up hard and pushing it past its limit it's unlikely to be a speaker itself failing. If all is fine with headphones the problem is somewhere in the signal chain after the headphone output. Getting a block diagram of the signal chain for that amp would help.

A good tech will find the problem quickly.
  8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

I recently had a car speaker with a deteriorating "surround", the part that flexes when it moves, and it makes a crackly sound on heavy bass. its almost constant on heavy bass, but you can still hear most of the music and highs... it bassically flops around in there, its held in only by magnetism.

I'd stick with the same speaker if you can, especially if you liked the tone.
  9. anderbass

anderbass

Look inside the rear port, and make sure the cardboard port tube hasn't came loose, and is flopping around inside the cab.

The speaker grill is attached by four Velcro corner strips.
    If you can work some kind of small-hook tool around the edge of the grill at any corner, and gently pull, your speaker grill will come right off so you can inspect for physical speaker damage, loose mounting screws or possibly any debris that might be there.

At this point your only four screws away from removing the speaker to inspect for bad connections, any debris hung up between rear of cone and framework, rips/separations.

You could also temporarily connect the speaker wires to a another cab, to confirm, if your dealing with a amp, or a speaker problem.

I own two of these amps and one has a speaker that is on its way out, (kind of a ringing sound).
    I did all the above tests, and then swapped drivers between the two amps to confirm my findings.

It seems not many people have reported bad speakers on this amp, but it is possible.
    I would recommend a factory replacement speaker for this amp. As of last year, they were avalible.($90.00)
    Good luck...:)
  10. steamthief

steamthief

Thanks for all of the helpful advice, guys. Gotta go scrub up now - the doctor's gonna do some exploratory surgery........
  11. Tenma4

Tenma4

One more thing to keep in mind if you get this before exploratory surgery. I had a similar problem with a Crate BX100, combo amp. It seemed my amp didn't like low A very much. It would begin to crackle. It never did it on the DI, headphones, and it didn't make the crackling sound very much except on the A. I suspected knobs, sliders...the above mentioned stuff. Then I had another thought.

The crackling was worse when I cranked up the volume, but specifically when I boosted lows. This got me to thinking cone excursion played a part. I noticed that the output of the amp had begun clipping at a relatively lower volume. Prime suspect: speaker voicecoil.

I took out the speaker, connected the amp to a different driver, performed the same test, and had no noise. It turns out after 6 years of heavy use, the voicecoil had been warped slightly, and as higher cone excursion was required, in combination with the resonance of a low A (lessor so with higher octaves), the crackling occurred. The damaged voicecoil was shorting on strong resonances. This caused the amp to short, and the protection limiter to come on.

Long story short...bad voicecoil caused the problem. If all other variables have been removed, I'd consider the speaker. I replaced the speaker and all was well...until I modified the cabinet, added a horn, removed the amp, and added a 1400 rack rig... Yeah, I don't have a 100 watt combo any longer, but the problem was solved.

Sorry for the long post, and happy troubleshooting. It's fun stuff.
  12. steamthief

steamthief

Yee-haw! Based on all of your recommendations and disassembly instructions, I located and found the problem - one of the speaker connections in the cone surround was only partially attached. I simply plugged it in tight, and also cleaned out a cobweb and saw a spider scurry across my office, and it sounds as good as new. I didn't realize how simple the process was, and it was fun, too. Also, you guys saved me some scratch with your advice - no trip to the shop! Based on this adventure, I'll be a supporting member for years to come. Thanks again, everyone!
  13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

14. cellkirk74

cellkirk74

A little resurrection.

I have the same Problem with lower notes on my recently accquired br-100. I will check the inside for some stuff to touch the cone or loose wires, but just in case: Does anybody know the exact name of the drivers in there? There currently seems to be no 150 watts / 4 Ohms chassis out there from Eminence.