Ampeg B-12-XTC value

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Saintrich, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Saintrich

Saintrich

This is my first time using this site but had to find someone who could help me price out my Ampeg B-12-XTC Portaflex amp (the 4 by 12" version of the B-12-xt). Im guessing the relative rarity of the amp is what is making the value so hard to determine but does anyone have a ballpark figure for it.

Its in excellent, not mint, condition but sounds perfect with no noise or hum and very few dings on the back. All original. I know they were only produced for one year so but if anyone has any info at all that would be amazing!
  2. P Town

P Town Guest

I bought one from a local shop that specializes in vintage guitars, and amps, in the Milwaukee, WI area. I think I paid about $750.00. So, that was their retail price. I think they were asking $900.00 That was about three years ago. Mine is in pretty decent condition. They changed the power cord to a three wire grounding type before selling it. If I was going to sell it, (I'm not), I would start at $900.00. These would be a pain to ship, so a local sale is the easiest, but that also limits your market. I agree, that the rarity makes it difficult to value. These are REALLY NICE AMPS. I don't use the original cab for bass, but for guitar, it sounds great. I use a Mesa Boogie Road Ready Diesel 115 occasionally for bass with the amp, but mostly, I use it for guitar now.
  3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Technically you need to be a supporting member to get a value. Info is fine though! :)

I bought one in well used but working condition and overpaid IMO at $850. I dropped another $500 in speakers, parts, and tech money almost immediately. It's one of my favorite amps ever now but too big to use regularly. With four Beta 12A in the cab and 6550's on the output it feels more like 100 watts.
  4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Chris, they LOOK like regular sized tubes to me. :p
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Perhaps I could've picked a more well suited adjective.

Average sized tube sale here! Get ya average sized tubes!

:D
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

8. Saintrich

Saintrich

Thanks for the info, it was totally helpful! Sorry about the breach of rules, didn't realize that was a no no.