Ampeg B-15N Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tenju777, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Tenju777

Tenju777

Hey fellow talkbassers. I recently moved into a new home and the former renters left an Ampeg B-15N amp and 1x15 Cab in the garage and apparently they don't want it back. Yay me right? Well I was just wanting to get some info on this amp. What year it is, etc etc. It was pretty filthy when I got my hands on it, it looks like it hasn't been played in a long time, but it works great. As you can see in the pictures under where it says Serial No. is scratched off. Any info would be awesome, thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sartori

Sartori

The scratched off serial number seems rather suspicious.

3. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Possibly mid 70s... My '76 Magnavox V-9 had similar graphics...

I believe the S/N was a sticker... Have a look inside for other numbers... Check the local CL for stolen claims...

Until you either find the rightful owner, or are convinced it's not a problem, try to enjoy it!

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Abandoning an amp with a scratched off serial number is suspicious. The serial number was on a small sticker. There may be a serial number sticker inside the cab as well. The cops might be able to provide you with some information.

A date estimate is 1976-1979.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

The serials on these were stickers and I've seen a lot of them where the sticker is long gone for one reason or another. Given that there's no real way to track the amp without one, and you say it was dirty/hadn't been played in a long time, it would be hard to pin point if it was lost or stolen in the past and who a rightful owner should be if there was one.

You could check inside the cabinet, the 60s amps had the serial number there as well. The 70s cabs had smaller paper labels with serial and/or production number on them, it's possible you could find one there.

As said, it's a later 70s model. If it plays well and sounds good then it sounds like a good score. It will eventually need a cap job, should cost you around $100 give or take.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Damn dude - that is a seriously SWEET score.

Best recording amp EVER imho.

I would call the people that did the service and see what they say.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only thing our renters left behind when we had a rental property was a freaking mess.

9. Tenju777

Tenju777

Thanks for all the help guys! I've actually gotten to speak with the last renters and it seems like their story checks out, they moved out of state and didn't think it was worth it to come back for the amp. And the last owner said it's been scratched off since he got it 10 years ago. So Christmas has come really early this year!

Seriously though, this thing is freakin sweet. The only problem I've found is that channel two has really scratchy knobs. I know next to nothing about tube amps so I'll probably have a tech check it out and make sure it's in tip top shape before I take it out.

10. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

That's how you do it:D

Nice score.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

that's probably mine. it was stolen last time i was in st augustine.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

A little dab of Deoxit on the pots 'll do ya. This cleans and lubricates them. It should be used on all metal-to-metal contacts such as jacks and tube sockets.

Given the age, the power supply caps might need to be changed. The tubes should also be checked if the volume is an issue. Given the good price that you got it for, an investment in a trip to a tech to get the amp in top shape would be well with it.

13. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

Johnny's Music on Highway 16 has a really awesome tube guy that has worked on my V4 and a friends Mesa if you want to get it checked out.

I think you should give it to me though.. ; )

Congrats!